Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Fibroids and HRT  (Read 4265 times)

orchid

Fibroids and HRT
« on: January 27, 2016, 06:49:05 PM »

Apparently fibroids can grow with oestrogen and I did experience cramp last time with HRT. This makes me hesitant to go back on. Has anyone had any experience of this?

Melbury

Re: Fibroids and HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 07:26:05 PM »

I had very large fibroids and ended up having a hysterectomy, which was the best thing and gave me my life back.   The consultant did tell me that fibroids continue to grow if oestrogen is present.  Before my operation I had a few months of Zoladex treatment to shut off the oestrogen and help the fibroids to shrink a bit.

A few years after the op my ovaries declined due to menopause and I eventually started using Oestrogel.

orchid

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 07:40:18 PM »

Thank you for that Melbury! There's always a hurdle isn't there...who would be a women 😏 X

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 07:41:59 PM »

Hello again orchid   (I've just finished commenting on your other post).

The small fibroid I had completely disappeared despite using HRT for over two years so for me the extra oestrogen wasn't a problem.

Take care.

K.

orchid

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 07:59:56 PM »

That's good to hear Kathleen! Thank you x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 02:42:28 PM »

...me too - my small fibroid has decreased in size slightly over the past two years despite being on 50 mcg patch HRT. I think it may well be worse if they are large to start with and perhaps if you are on a higher oestrogen dose?

Hurdity x

anna123

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 09:47:44 PM »

I was just about to start a thread about this but thought I'd comment on this instead - I hope this is ok.

I've just been told I have fibroids following a scan after excessive bleeding on Femoston - not large but several and it's the position of them that is concerning. This is all I know. The sonographer said they tend to reduce over time when oestrogen levels drop but how does this work with HRT. Surely if we take HRT it increases oestrogen so makes the fibroids grow. I have come off it temporarily but fully intend to go back on it due to the horrendous way I feel now and for bones etc due to my age (41)

Will i just have to put up with the fibroids and bleeding :(