Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Mirena question  (Read 2825 times)

lizzog

Mirena question
« on: February 23, 2016, 11:23:43 AM »

I've had a mirena coil fitted for prog and heavy periods for the last 3 years which has been really good for me. I take evorel 50 patches for the oestrogen.
I've been today for the coil replacing. They got the old one out fine, but struggled to get the new one in. The doctor abandoned it as it was painful. She also noted that I had a cervical polyp so if I had that removed under general I could maybe have a mirena fitted then.
In the meantime it looks as though I'm back to the GP for prog patches again.  Hoping the bleeding won't be too bad as four years ago it was heavy and clotty.
Anyone had any similar experiences?

MrsJD

Re: Mirena question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 10:23:30 PM »

I've had a mirena coil fitted for prog and heavy periods for the last 3 years which has been really good for me. I take evorel 50 patches for the oestrogen.
I've been today for the coil replacing. They got the old one out fine, but struggled to get the new one in. The doctor abandoned it as it was painful. She also noted that I had a cervical polyp so if I had that removed under general I could maybe have a mirena fitted then.
In the meantime it looks as though I'm back to the GP for prog patches again.  Hoping the bleeding won't be too bad as four years ago it was heavy and clotty.
Anyone had any similar experiences?

Hi, when I had my first Mirena removed it came out easy enough but cervix went into spasm and they couldn't fit the new one, they had 3 attempts over a period of 4 weeks and in the end I had to go and have a new one fitted under general.  During the wait for the new one to be fitted I had 2 periods and they were really heavy like they used to be prior to having the Mirena fitted.

lizzog

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 01:17:10 PM »

I've got a GP appointment next week to discuss what I am going to do now.  I really got on with the mirena, and feel frustrated with myself that it wouldn't go in!  I'm thinking that I'll end up with prog and oestrogen patches again, and then see how I get on.  I'm hoping that I may have finished with the clotty periods - if not, then I will have a rethink about what to do.
If the GP thinks the polyp has to come out, and I can have this done under general, then I might have the mirena put back in then...

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 02:49:08 PM »

If you liked the Mirena it is a very good option and I would let them do the polyp and have another fitted.  In the mean time you could just have progesterone tablets that you would take on a sequential basis to see how it goes?? You may now be deeper into your menopause and your natural periods could have actually stopped by now - the heavy bleeding tends to be a feature of the earlier peri meno phase??? Depends how old you are as well? I'd stick with your current patches and just ask for some Norethisterone or Provera tablets you could take for 10-12 days each month ( which will result in a withdrawal bleed) but then have another Mirena when they can do your op. Dg XXX