Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Endometrial Hypertrophy with Proliferation??  (Read 3420 times)

mcwey

Endometrial Hypertrophy with Proliferation??
« on: February 22, 2016, 10:33:29 AM »

Hi all,

Can anyone please help me understand what this means. I have had a D&C, Mirena coil insertion and cystoscopy. On the follow up 6 weeks visit to my Gynae she told me the lab results were back and that my annovulatory cycles were due to Endometrial Hypertrophy with proliferation.

As my FSH was extremely high prior to the op (6 months on femoston 2/10) June - October prior to surgery and my ultrasounds have shown that my left ovary has literally given up I am now classed as perimenopausal. My right ovary is still active. As I now have the Mirena for the progestren side of things I am now using Fematab 2mg to control my lack of oestrogen.

I have had minimal spotting with the Mirena and Im really pleased with it. She has also removed several small fibroids. My vaginal atrophy has massively improved along with the pain post op, so I am definitely feeling much better than before.

I have googled endometrial hypertrophy and not getting satisfactory results so I would be so grateful if anyone has similar condition and can explain a bit about it to me. The Gynae has me on a 6 monthly check ups and has mentioned that she may need to go in to do another hysteroscopy at a future date which concerns me.

Many thanks to anyone who can help me in advance.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Endometrial Hypertrophy with Proliferation??
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 01:18:12 PM »

>wave< - ring the Lab. or the Gynae's secretary?  Medical jargon becomes a habit within the profession - I often had to explain orthopaedic terminology to patients after the Doctors had moved on  ::).

Then let us know?  ;)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 01:40:40 PM »

Hi mcwey
Isn't is annoying when they don't explain things properly - they should, if for no other reason than to reassure us. All this terminology can seem so frightening.
Now I'm certainly no expert but I am pretty sure that annovulatory cycles happen during the peri meno stage when, some months, we don't ovulate and therefore the womb lining builds up too much and might the cause of the fibroids and possible erratic and/or heavy bleeding. So endometrial hypertrophy would probably refer to this thickening the the lining - hence the need for the D&C. Hopefully someone will be along with more medical knowledge who can say whether I got this right or not. The Mirena will reduce and stop this over thickening and will usually shrink and/or prevent further fibroids from happening.
I had this problem happen in my mid 30s and like you I had a D&C done which resulted in my periods stopping - they then did blood tests which showed I was in peri meno. 
From what you are telling us you are getting very good treatment and advice so I don't think you have anything to worry about and the possibility of further investigations would just be precautionary.  25 years ago when I was in my 30s, they didn't use the Mirena for controlling meno problems and if this is helping you then that is great.
Delighted to hear you are feeling better - stop worrying and enjoy life. Dg xxx

mcwey

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 08:34:32 PM »

Hi Dancing girl and CKLD, thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post. I am feeling so much better now so not as worried as this time last year when I just felt awful and had no clue why! I'm going back to the consultant in May so will ask her to explain it a bit more then. I think the day I saw her she was backed up with a busy clinic and also had to scan me to make sure the Mirena was in place so it was all a big rushed. She is lovely. If I have to visit my gp I will discuss it with her before then. As you say dancing girl it's all he see control now so I'm just going to relax, your answer made total sense to me so a big thank you.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 05:53:11 PM »

Hi mcwey

I am not familiar with the term endometrial hypertrophy and whether and how this is distinct from endometrial hyperplasia. If it is the same condition - regarding the gynae's words I would have put it the other way round ie the Endometrial Hypertrophy with proliferation is due to your anovulatory cycles - and is as Dancinggirl has already explained. The proliferation is what normally happens during the first part of the menstrual cycle - the follicular phase, sometimes called the proliferative phase.  As she has already explained when you don't ovulate the lining builds up further ( proliferates more) - and this is because no progesterone is produced (progesterone is normallyproduced by the empty egg follicle). Progesterone changes the lining from "proliferative" to "secretory" ready for the fertilised embryo - but is shed if fertilisation and implantation do not occur.

It is explained much better than I can here - well - the changes in your body at peri-menopause: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Hopefully as Dancinggirl has said the Mirena will thin your lining and stop this happening again.

Hurdity x