Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Patch absorption - estrogen levels?  (Read 4488 times)

Briony

Patch absorption - estrogen levels?
« on: February 21, 2016, 10:39:32 AM »

I know in theory patches are meant to be more easily absorbed than pills, but for some people, is this not the case?

Several months ago I switched from a 2 mg birth control pill to 100 mcg patches as I wanted to use a more natural /safer route, but still suppress ovulation (I get terrible fluctuations and therefore feel best when I don't ovulate).

The high dose patches didn't affect me emotionally, but I did get a lot of physical symptoms - aches, shooting pains etc. which I assumed was just settling in to higher estrogen.

I know Prof Studd, who recommends suppressing ovulation in peri menopause, says 100 mcg patches should suppress ovulation and cause average estriadol blood plasma levels of 500 pmol.
I was therefore surprised to see my estrogen was measured as 128 pmol, even on the 'high' dose patches.(FSH still normal apparently).

What I am wondering is does this suggest I am still ovulating/having a cycle? Do some people just not absorb patches as well?

Mary G

Re: Patch absorption - estrogen levels?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 06:12:38 PM »

Briony, I don't absorb the patches well at all.  I was also on the 100mcg patches and they hardly made any difference.  I started from the bottom and worked up to the 100mcg and none of then ever really cut it.  Blood tests confirmed this fact and it wasn't until I switched to the gel that I had a breakthrough and finally found an oestrogen that I absorbed properly and worked for me.  It was at this point that I finally went back to feeling normal again.

One other thing, I didn't like going around with a patch stuck to my backside.  It always left a horrid black mark when I took it off and always felt damp underneath.  I used to get an itchy rash too so I really didn't get on with them at all.

Oral HRT was also a complete flop for me.  I didn't absorb the tablets very well either and not only did they give me indigestion, they were completely ineffectual.

Have you thought about switching to gel?

Briony

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 06:36:29 PM »

That's interesting  Mary. Glad it's not just me!

I did try switching to gel, but am having problems with Utrogestan at the moment, so am going to go back to Qlaira with gel as a top up.

Thanks for replying  :)

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 06:54:59 PM »

I think that's a sensible decision Briony. You have given the high patches a good crack of the whip but you haven't seemed any better on it than you were on Qlaira. In fact I think you have perhaps felt a bit worse?

Keeping my fingers crossed for a smooth transition over to Qlaira again.

Briony

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 07:17:46 PM »

Thanks! I have managed to get hold of some gel, so I shall experiment with a combination, like Estelle was advised, if required. The only thing I am dreading is the 3 month 'teething time'. I think it's worse when you know it's coming!! x

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 07:43:45 PM »

Briony, if you get on with Qlaira then it sounds like a plan.  I used to use Angeliq and top up with a 50mcg patch which was an improvement because I wasn't getting enough oestrogen out of the tablets. 

One thought, you say you had problems with the Utrogestan, how much were you taking every month?  It can be a problem if you take it in high doses.

Briony

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 07:49:35 PM »

Mary, when I took Utrog for 12 days (200) I had a terrible dip afterwards. Switched to 100mg for 25 days and no problems at all. (I'm one of the weird ones who seems better on it than off it). However, I have just had a nasty bladder infection which I think was to blame. It made me quite itchy too. I cant take it orally due to having to eat late (partner works odd hours).

Interesting what you say about Angelique as that has the same progesterone as the pill Yaz which I wondered about taking (the estrogen in Qlaira is very low for a pill whereas Yaz's is more powerful). How did you find it?

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 08:20:49 PM »

Briony, I didn't get on very well with Angeliq for several reasons.  It gave me indigestion, it didn't deliver enough oestrogen and there was too much synthetic progesterone in it so it set off my silent migraines.  It was not the most evil type of synthetic progesterone that I have ever taken because it took a long time for set the migraines off but I could not have considered taking it long term.  The migraines did stop once I used the patch as well but I felt half baked on it and not really there so the gynaecologist suggested I change to a different regime which I have.

I now use two pumps of gel everyday and 7 days of 100mg Utrogestan (vaginally) and that is working OK so far but I don't think it would work for you if you get on better with Utrogestan.  You might want to give the Angeliq a try though, it might work for you if you can top it up with some gel. 

Briony

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 10:24:08 PM »

As a migraine sufferer (though not silent) I won't risk it in that case. I was very lucky with Qlaira as it never affected my migraines, possibly because it is bio identical, even though it is a birth control pill. I've read your previous posts on silent migraines with interest (and sympathy!). They sound awful. I have only had a few migraines wth aura, and they were evil.