Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Mirena Coil - constant spotting.  (Read 7204 times)

elsie001

Mirena Coil - constant spotting.
« on: February 19, 2016, 09:39:17 AM »

I had my coil fitted end of September last year and am still getting constant spotting.  I think the longest I've gone without any blood is 2 days? 

I know it's supposed to settle down within 6 months but what happens if it doesn't?

Aside from that little annoyance, I've been really pleased with the coil - my biggest peri symptom was insomnia and it's done wonders in that department so I'd be gutted to have it removed.

Chi chi

Re: Mirena Coil - constant spotting.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 03:20:39 PM »

Hi, I was told by Dr Annie Evans than oestrogel/Sandrena would stop this, don't know if that's an option for you but thought I'd mention it 😊

elsie001

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 02:40:06 PM »

Thanks for your reply Chi Chi.  I did try Oestrogel but had to give up after 6 days as the insomnia came back with a vengance.  However, I wonder if that was to do with where I applied it - GP told me to rub it in to my shins (only used 1 pump daily) but instructions that came with the gel said to apply to upper arms or inner thigh.

Anyone else been told to rub it on their shins?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 02:53:20 PM »

I think it's best to apply the gel to inner thighs. Also you may have needed and slightly higher dose.  It's good to start with one pump per day for 2-4 weeks and then increase by about half a dose for another 2-4 weeks until you have found the amount that keeps all the your symptoms under control.  Where on earth did the GP- get the idea that the shins were the best place to apply the gel!!!!???? Also don't rub it in, just spread it across the inner thighs and allow it to dry for about 10 mins before dressing. It's a very efficient way to absorb oestrogen.  Dg x

Snowball

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 03:49:35 PM »

Hi Elsie,
If the Mirena is helping control your insomnia, then I think you have to weigh up for yourself whether you can live with the spotting or not.

I had a Mirena fitted in 2012 for heavy, flooding periods and I had constant spotting and light bleeding with it - but at the time decided that the controlled, light bleeding was preferable to having to always have a change of clothes handy 'just in case'.  I added in Elleste Solo and later changed to Estradot 25 but was still bleeding almost continually (I would have a week or so now and again without any bleeding).  Eventually I stopped the Estrogen and had the Mirena removed in 2014 because I was so tired of constantly having to wear panty liners.  After that I would have heavy bleeding for 2-3 days during a period but my periods were erratic, so it was not every month and I decided that was the best for me at that point.  My doctor said Mirena stops periods in most women - I guess we are just part of the unfortunate minority. 

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 05:04:45 PM »

Hi elsie001 - Where are you in menopause - and what was the Mirena prescribed for - was it heavy bleeding? If your periods were irregular and going towards longer cycles/skipped periods then your oestrogen will be declining and replacing it might help.  Any side effects usually settle fairly soon. This could help your insomnia but depends what's waking you up - if it's hot flushes or bladder issues then oestrogen should help.  Very weird about the gel and shins  ::) - I mean there's nothing wrong with applying it there, but just that the skin is tougher so absorption will be less!

Hurdity x

elsie001

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 05:34:14 PM »

My situation sounds very similar to Snowballs - I'm 49 and was having horrendously heavy periods. As well as the flooding, I was getting lots of the egg-white mucus which has stopped since my coil was fitted.  Not sure exactly how far along I am with peri - I skipped a period about a year ago and before having my mirena fitted, they had gone from roughly 25 days apart to 30+ days apart.

I think the worst thing about the constant spotting, is that I don't know where I am in my monthly cycle - there are days when I feel pms-ish or might have lower back-ache but because there's no real start or end date to the bleeding I can't put the reasons for the symptoms down to ovulation or pms?  I'd say I've been having various peri symptoms since early forties. Had a whole range of peri symptoms except hot flushes - when I meet up with my friends for coffee, I'm the only one not fanning herself with a menu!

Snowball

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 06:59:55 PM »

You have my sympathy, Elsie.  I had forgotten about that not knowing where you were in the cycle feeling.  When I started the patches, my GP told me to put the first one on when my next period started.  I remember thinking 'really?' at that one!!!  ::) I kept a diary of bleeding (spotting, light, etc) and perhaps doing that would help you to see any pattern.

If the Mirena is stopping your flooding and also helping you sleep, then that is good.  It might be worth trying some sort of oestrogen to see if that sorts the spotting out like Chi Chi says.  Fingers crossed for you!

Sxx

elsie001

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 12:07:25 PM »

Thanks Snowball - are you on any sort of hrt now? 

Snowball

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 04:29:27 PM »

Just Vagifem.  I used the patches to address anxiety/jitteriness but stopped them when I felt my own hormones surging again (I then had 6 months of being regular as clockwork). It was the wild fluctuations of early peri that were so difficult for me.  Things a bit more settled now; I have flushes but not bad enough to need HRT and it is 5 months since my last period.

elsie001

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 06:16:42 PM »

Thanks Snowball.  Despite having peri symptoms for the past 7 years, I think I'm still in the wide fluctuation phase!