Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: What do you do when your are feeling hideously hormonal?  (Read 2246 times)

Trufflecat

What do you do when your are feeling hideously hormonal?
« on: February 21, 2016, 07:28:45 PM »

In the process of tweaking my doses at the moment. On the Oestrogen 50 patches as usual, but stopped the Utrogestan for a couple of weeks prior to starting on the 200 for 12 days (I think). Good time for a break asa proper period had started. Due to the sudden drop on progesterone, I assume, I feel completely murderous. Taking HRT is mostly to get rid of pmt for me, so this feels hideously familiar.  What, if anything, do you do if you are afflicted by really awful pmt? Should it rear its head despite the HRT I mean. If I could have dosed myself with something to chill myself out this week O would have.

Briony

Re: What do you do when your are feeling hideously hormonal?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:33:00 PM »

I found that with 200mg for 12 days, the dip afterwards was hideous. Far worse than PMS. I eventually switched to 100 mg for 25 days (despite still having regular periods). This resulted in no dip at all.

Only slight problem is that I took it vaginally and end up with an irritation!

Lizab

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:49:27 PM »

But in the meantime?

I'm seriously thinking I need the 25 day regimen of progesterone. I'm not sure how to convince my doctor of that. I have a few weeks before a visit to continue observing and tracking my symptoms.

During the time that you are getting help, but waiting for everything to settle in, how do you cope?

I've been waiting it out at home. It's not a sustainable way to cope.

Briony

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 07:53:46 PM »

I so know that feeling Liza, it's like existing rather than living?

If you get bad PMS, this is worth a read http://www.pms.org.uk/assets/files/guidelinesfinal60210.pdf

The more I experiment, the more I realise that, until I am nearer menopause, suppressing ovulation is the only way forward to me (as suggested in this document). That's why I am going back on Qlaira, but with a little gel as required.

x

Trufflecat

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 08:06:55 PM »

Liza I can only sympathise. I have just come off the 25 days regeime because I pointed out to my GP that I had no bleed for the first two months and then a bleed starting on day 16 for the following two months. I was worried that my endometrium would be building up and not shedding.  I am concerned about the new regime now but should give it a go I guess. I cannot really take it vaginally as we have an active sex life (I am not showing off!) although I could use it that way some of the time I suppose.
Briony I will have a look at that. I am not aware of the benefits of suppressing ovulation.