Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: UTI/cystitis symptoms?  (Read 4520 times)

Briony

UTI/cystitis symptoms?
« on: February 20, 2016, 12:00:50 PM »

Would be really interested to hear your experiences as what I have doesn't seem to fit the text book description of a UTI , so I am a bit  ???

For a week or so, have felt a bit itchy down there. Then last weekend noticed that when I had a wee, I could feel something. It wasnt 'painful', more like a muscular pain. The same day I started getting lower abdominal pain when I needed a wee and after - but no burning etc when I had a wee at all.

GP did a urine test and found blood in my urine, so prescribed three days of an antibiotic beginning with a T. That night, got lower back ache. Next day, felt dreadful - horribly fatigued (slept all day) nauseous and shivering. Partner called doctor who swapped the antibiotics to one beginning with an N (sorry, useless with names).

By Thursday, felt tired but better. Continued with the three day course of N.

Then yesterday, once again I felt horribly sick and utterly exhausted. Spent half the day asleep or feeling sick. Still had slight dull ache in lower abdomen, especially after weeing. Called doctor who said unless I had a temperature, then dont worry.

Have now finished the antibiotics and still feel weird. Very tired, almost dizzy, and slight tummy/back pain (not painful).

Are these symptoms typical of a UTI? I am really confused as I thought it was a burning pain when you went to the loo that was the obvious symptom? I've not had this at all?

As I am prone to health anxiety, I am now stupidly thinking the worse - it's something else, it's bladder cancer, I'm going to collapse etc. etc. so I'm keen to hear if anyone else had the same symptoms , and if so, how long they took to go.  I really want to feel better and get on with life again!

Thank you so much, B

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: UTI/cystitis symptoms?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 12:07:07 PM »

Yep.  They are 'typical'.  GPs still seem to prescribe ABs for urine 'infections' - they should however send a urine sample to a Lab. for proper testing, a dip stick isn't the correct was of diagnosing  :bang: :bang: :bang: blood in the urine is common.

Ring your Practice Nurse and ask for treatment for vaginal atrophy.  GPs are prescribing far too many ABs so that germs are building up resistance which will affect the whole World!  This particular AB is well known for causing horrendous side-effects though it does work. 

Your Nurse could check to make sure that you don't have a prolapse down there.  For me cystitis symptoms are the need to pee and the place I feel most comfortable is sitting on the loo to allow all the muscles to relax.  When I pass wee there's a sudden nip as the spinster shuts off  :-\.  My lower belly feels 'full'/heavy until the oestrogen cream begins to work.

Briony

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 12:10:31 PM »

Thanks CLKD. That's really helpful. I didnt know re side effects of the AB as they didn't put the leaflet in either box and I felt too rough to go online (in fact, I felt too rough to even get undressed and slept in my clothes all night :o).  x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 12:12:20 PM »

:bighug:

How are you this morning?  You could ask a Pharmacist if you can't get to your GP/Practice Nurse this week, most Chemists have private rooms for personal discussions these days.

I do wish GPs would send samples away for proper analysis but of course, it costs the Surgery money  >:(.  All GPs have been sent advice about over-prescribing ABs  :-\ ……. I find that Nurofen can stave off some of the symptoms.  As does KY jelly or LIVE yoghurt (eaten and applied; that's the yoghurt, not the KY jelly ;-) )

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 01:32:24 PM »

Briony - the symptoms you are describing sounds very like what I got when I used Utro vaginally.  When I tried Utro  vaginally I also found I got the dizziness and fatigue in the morning - when I took Utro orally I felt dizzy at bedtime which was better. The blood in the urine is probably VA and needs some local oestrogen. The dizziness and fatigue could also be the build up of the Utro in your system - I think you are using it continuously?.  Can you try using Utro orally and sequentially to see if that helps - you'd need to discuss this with you doctor first.?  Dg x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 04:32:47 PM »

Hi Briony

I used to suffer a lot with cystitis when I was younger, until I discovered how to protect myself from it.

But when I used to have it, I always had nasty, sharp pains as I finished weeing. If left untreated, it develop into a kidney infection which gave me flu like symptoms and made me ache all over.

I'm wondering if you using Utro for so many days continuously has aggravated the area around your urethra and hence the discomfort, but no actual pain when weeing?

Could you experiment by taking the Utro orally for the next couple of weeks and see if the discomfort goes away?

Briony

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 09:15:34 PM »

Thanks again to you all for your advice and suggestions.

I am convinced it is linked to the continuous Utro - along with my laziness not to do something about it sooner.  Still don't feel right (very achy and tired) and it's been a totally wasted half term, so overall, a lesson learned!

... Am going to rethink my hrt regime.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 02:31:40 PM »

What did you decide?

marley

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 05:23:03 PM »

I ve had the cycstitis thing for 6 weeks blood and protein in urine then clear had 2 cultures done and clear ,i was given oestriol cre
me because i have a bit of va but now on 4th day  i have a bad pelvic ache , any ideas i dont know if its the bladder thing or the cream ,at my wits end

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 05:25:26 PM »

Try taking pain relief?

marley

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2016, 05:40:38 PM »

Yes tried pain relief dulls it down but thats all

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2016, 05:44:10 PM »

Speak to your Practice Nurse in the morning?

marley

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 05:54:12 PM »

Thanks CLKD

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 08:26:12 PM »

How are you now?