Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Feeling sorry for myself and so trapped  (Read 3516 times)

Sarai

Feeling sorry for myself and so trapped
« on: March 05, 2016, 09:03:26 PM »

Ok so here I am in what is still peri, at the age of 54, had a 31 week gap but now had a period damn it.
I've documented on here my struggles of 2015, months of worry over mammogram results, surgery which was clear but I never perked up after. Then massive overdose of vitamin D gave me many things but the lasting one has been renewed tinnitus and hyperacusis (sensitivity to most normal sound).
I've been trapped in this hell since April, miserable, tearful, tinnitus, unable to bear anywhere noisy (cafe, shops, restaurant, car journeys). I can't do things to raise my mood as everything is noisy and thus traumatic.
My sleep us rubbish, even though I take melatonin, I have antidepressants. I got sent for CBT but she was rubbish and did not care that my tinnitus and hyperacusis had ruined my life and would not even learn about it. My gp wants me to a health pysc, but I've been on the list 7 months and I know the only one in my area will not do CBT or help with tinnitus.
I used to be full of life and loved to sing. I could cope with anything, now I feel like tired old rag. My daughter needs me but my head just rings louder with noise of her sons, lack of sleep does the same, I can't tolerate any noise or stress.
I feel so disabled by this hearing problem and I'm so angry about it too. I can't get help anywhere as nowhere in the world has treatment for either of my issues.
I went to funeral today, a big one, it was heartbreaking torture, I cried the family and cried for me too as the sound was intolerable even with plugs in.
I belong to tinnitus groups but can't discuss meno, I'm sure everything is intertwined now.
I really can't bear to think I could live another 30 years in noise hell.

Taz2

Re: Feeling sorry for myself and so trapped
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 09:17:38 PM »

Hi Sarai. Sorry to learn that you are still suffering. Have you been offered a noise generator (which I know sounds exactly the opposite of what you need) to help with the hyperacusis? It seems to be part of the NHS treatment for this. I take it you have been investigated to rule out any medical causes other than tinnitus?

Have a hug by the way. You have had a lot to deal with.

Taz x  :hug:

Sarai

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 09:21:13 PM »

Taz2 yes I paid to get noise generators in June, the NHS offered nothing. All that happened was my tinnitus altered frequency and got worse.
I have worked on my own noise therapy daily since September and improved some, I can bear the kettle, fan oven, microwave now, but feeling so worn out and joint aching I feel utterly trapped when I can't just go out and enjoy life's pleasures

Dulciana

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 10:00:38 PM »

:hug: Sarai.  You gave me such helpful advice on my other thread this evening.  Really sorry to hear that you're having such a rotten time.   I don't know about tinnitus so can't advise, but take care.
Dulciana

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 10:01:11 PM »

I really feel for you. I developed pulsitile tinnitus at the beginning of peri meno 8 years ago and had scans and brain mri to rule out anything sinister causing it but nothing was found.  I have a whooshing in my left ear in time with my heartbeat plus a sound like someone banging a drum quietly in time with my heartbeat. Thankfully although these sounds are there 24/7 they are not loud so I don't suffer in any way like you do but I do get short lived high pitched ringing in the same ear and I do wonder how I would cope if this noise stayed.
 I have never heard of anyone developing it after an overdose of vitamin d so I have learnt something. I know quite a few drugs can cause it.
There is so little help for tinnitus sufferers as its a silent condition to others
I am sorry I don't have any words of wisdom that might help you but wanted you to know that I have great empathy with what you must be enduring and really hope that you can find some way of being able to live with it without it having the impact on your life it is having now xx
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 10:02:42 PM by countrybumpkin »

Kate50

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 02:12:37 AM »

Hi Sarai
I  have had tinnitus on and off since going into menopause and in September when all my meno stuff got worse so did it especially with the palpitations.  I started on HRT and it went just like that!??

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 06:07:41 PM »

Hello Sarai.

So sorry to read of your struggles and my heart goes out to you. As you are a member of a support group I'm sure you are aware of the latest developments and I hope you find a treatment that works for you.

I wish I could offer help but sending hugs your way.

Tame care.

K.

Sarai

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 10:24:02 AM »

Kate50 that sounds like my dream scenario. I don't think I will be going on HRT but praying that the end of periods or hormonal upheaval will eventually help me.

Kate50

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 11:00:29 AM »

I wasn't ever going on HRT been taking alternative medicine mis the of my adult life but was worn out after 6 years of menopause symptoms and it was just getting worse no sleep VA all the time abs the rest.  I'm not quite there yet but feel so much better getting rid of tinnitus etc. My mum says she still suffers 20 years after going thru menopause!