Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Patches v's Pills?  (Read 4360 times)

Sooby

Patches v's Pills?
« on: February 20, 2016, 06:55:24 AM »

Hi lovely ladies  :)

i am almost at the end of my first pack of estelle duo and although the oestrogen phase has made a really positive improvement the progesterone tabs have given me acid reflux, nausia, vomiting, loss of apatite and fluttery heartbeat.

I initially asked my GP for patches as I understood that this medication came in two forms but after he had read through his directory he told me the patches weren't a good idea for the duo meds.

So my questions are....

Does this med come in a patch form?

Will the symptoms be the same even with a patch? :-\

Will I have to pay 2 x prescription charges for the patch as I do with the tablets ( because it contains two drugs )  >:(

Should I just stick with it for another 2 months and see what happens? I will be back on the oestrogen again next week though I havent had a period yet.....?  ::)

would a different med be worth a try?  ???

Any other thoughts, ideas, experiences?  :)

Dancinggirl

Re: Patches v's Pills?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:15:12 AM »

Have a look under TREATMENTS at the top of this page.  You have lots of options and it's trial and error till you find the one that suits you.  It sounds as though you may well do better on a patch.  DG x

walking the dog

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 10:15:38 AM »

hi sooby
I had same experience on premak c I wss fine on estrogen but not on the progesterone my gp then prescribed me the estrogen part in the form of premarin and prescribed utrogestran for the progesterone part. the utrogestran seems to suit me  im  now on estraol patch with thevseperate utrogestran orally perhaps you could suggest a similar routine to your gp.good luck xx

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 02:46:13 PM »

sooby, if I were you, I would take this opportunity to switch to a different, transdermal type of HRT.  POral HRT is notorious for causing digestive problems and it is often not very effective either.

I would recommend you use transdermal oestrogen gel (Oestrogel) and Utrogestan (progesterone) which are both bio identical, more effective and have fewer side effects.  I am severely intolerant to all types of synthetic progestins (the type of progesterone you are currently on) and to Utrogestan if taken in high doses.  This regime is working well for me providing I only take 100mg Utrogestan vaginally for 7 days each month.  If you are intolerant to progesterone, it is very important that you take the Utrogestan vaginally.  I am also using 2 pumps of the oestrogen gel every day which is the dose that most women start on but the beauty of the gel is that it is easy to adjust the dose up or down to suit your needs.  I have found the gel to be far more effective than patches which never really stuck properly and didn't give me an adequate dose of oestrogen.

You might want to suggest this to your GP.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 04:12:16 PM »

Yes, oral HRT made me feel like I had light morning sickness all the time. I also had a touch of diarrhoea most days.

When I use patches I am fine. No nausea, or bowel issues.

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 04:48:21 PM »

Hi Sooby

To add to what's been said, and to answer your questions - yes this med does come in patch form.

The equivalent one is Evorel sequi (for cyclical HRT) or Evorel conti ( for continuous combined no-bleed HRT if you are post-meno). If you can tolerate the progestogen in your systme then this might be fine - but you can't tell yet as it has made you ill orally. That particular progestogen can cause side effects in some women so as Mary G says you might want to try something totally different.

The problem with oral HRT is that absorption is affected by digestion and it can also upset digestion so you end up not absorbing enough and as Mary G says it is well known for this. I agree with Mary G and others - yes go for transdermal and I don't know what your doc was thinking by saying they're not a good idea for dual meds! All dual meds (ie combi tabs or patches) can be problematic in that you can't alter the oestrogen or progestogen separately.

I've never taken oral HRT and always used patches and (vaginal) utrogestan which works fine. Patch or gel both deliver transdermally and they suit different women depending on absorption or whether you want to apply your HRT daily or weekly. I also can't say whether  the nausea and those side effects would settle if you carried on with these tabs.

Yes you still have to pay two prescription charges unfortunately.

Hurdity x