Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Not sure if I'm being irrational or not  (Read 1679 times)

Sue1967

Not sure if I'm being irrational or not
« on: February 18, 2016, 09:01:04 PM »

Hi all, I've not been on for a while but recent events have been playing on my mind and I must admit I am feeling worried.

To cut a long story short I lost my mum in January to a brain tumour she was 81 and we only found out in December last year she had a primary one, we also lost my brother 30 years ago also to cancer and had two brain tumours, and we also lost my dad 17 years ago to cancer too.

I've been on Elleste Duet 1mg for nearly two years this June, Now given my families track record and cancer It's starting to freak me out a little.

Maybe I am being irrational given everything or maybe I do have cause for concern, how would others feel.

I do plan on seeing my Gp soon and talking to them about it with regards to maybe coming off HRT all together.

Thanks in advance
Sue

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Not sure if I'm being irrational or not
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 09:20:19 PM »

Whether it's being irrational or not, you will be worried until you've talked with a Doctor.  Could you make an appt. with your Mum's Consultant for a chat?  It will depend totally on what was likely to have caused the tumour.  Did your Mum have a biopsy? or other surgical intervention?  Late M in L had the same, confirmed by biopsy: she had been a little 'strange' for a while prior to diagnosis …… recovered initially then it grew which caused her to slow down. 

I wouldn't rush into stopping HRT in your situation, quality of Life is important.  You will be grieving for a while so don't want menopause symptoms on top of an already un-happy time.

Have a  :bighug:

Sue1967

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 07:58:59 PM »

Thank you CLKD and Sparkle.....I shall make an appointment on Monday.

CLKD my mum was diagnosed 10th Dec with a secondary brain tumour but we then found out on the 17th Dec that it was a primary which she had for over a year or so but no symptoms other than hearing and memory loss which as she was 81 we put down to getting old, On the 7th January this year it was decided that my mum was too ill for a biopsy and operation, Chemo was not appropriate as she was very ill and immobile. and Radiotherapy would make my mum ill and not make the prognosis better in anyway. mum was to be fast tracked out of hospital for palliative care but unfortunately she had an on going chest infection and was on her third lot of antibiotics. But the strongest antibiotics were too late as she died on the 17th January from pneumonia.
But they said it was a Glioblastoma Multiform grade 4 and in her left frontal lobe hence the memory and hearing loss.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:45:53 PM »

Similar tumour to late M in L.  The symptoms we put down to age though hindsight: DH answered the 'phone in her house one day then handed it to her ……. she looked at the 'phone as if she had never seen one before.  She also collapsed several times, probably because the tumour was pressing on the area of the brain which allows us to move about.  She had several months of being OK after initial diagnosis - she was 83. 

I would ring the Consultant's secretary and see if you could arrange a meeting to put your points over and get peace of mind.