Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: EU deal  (Read 7077 times)

blossom60

EU deal
« on: February 20, 2016, 08:23:16 AM »

Thoughts anyone?

I think it is probably as good as we could get and I'm for staying in. :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: EU deal
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 11:58:57 AM »

I voted against in the initial Referendum not realising that Heath had already done the Deal  :-\.  I probably won't bother unless an MP has open meetings to let us know what really goes on.

How come that workers from the EU can get Child Benefit from the UK but their children live at 'home'  :-\  :bang: :bang: :bang: …… when their families haven't paid any UK Taxes?

I fear that should we leave (live) the 'common market', that mainland Europe will impose sanctions against us which will mean the cost of living may well rise - because 'they' will be able to charge the UK what they like for goods we import  :-\

My Grandads went to War to keep GB an Island  :'(
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 03:53:55 PM by CLKD »

littleminnie

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 01:09:27 PM »

The child benefit is the thing that annoys me the most.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 09:44:58 AM »

So many unknowns. So many things wrong with being in the EU, yet if we get out, what then? Which is the lesser of the two evils?

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »

It won't be spent on Education, NHS or anything else - it's a separate budget.  The UK Government of the day rob Peter to pay Paul - i.e. the monies 'found' to give English Language Classes to immigrants will be snatched from the Education Budget: the promised improvements to Mental Health will be snatched from somewhere else.  Unless taxable income is raised then there isn't any 'new' money.

I think we should back the PM and stay in this time.  If the provisos don't work then another Referendum can be called.

coldethyl

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 10:50:18 AM »

The world has shrunk since we went into the EU. Then my dad had a job in a profitable ship industry until the Japanese and Koreans did it cheaper and better. Now we are competing against China and India and other emerging economies that have scale and cheapness of labour on their side ( and life is so cheap that there need be no restraints on child labour , safety and so on.) We can never compete alone and need a trading bloc with the same rules as us which for better or worse, the EU has been. As a former dairy farmer, I'd not have a home now if it weren't for the EU supporting agriculture as our own country's rulings on competition only applied to the little guys coming together to form selling co-ops and not the big guys like the supermarkets pushing the prices down to make a profit not for you or me, but themselves and their shareholders. I live in one of the wettest parts of the UK and every day I sit in a coffee shop watching various groups of friends from all corners of the EU meet up- my drink is made by a Hungarian girl, my table wiped by a Polish kid who came to live and go to school here, the local Macdonalds is staffed by Romanians who buy a couple of coffees a day each and have a smile for everyone. Imagine what life must be like back "home" to come and leave your family and partners to live where the sun never shines and live on wages that Macdonalds and Neros pay and still think you are better off? They take our jobs because they are willing to do them and see them as ways to make a better life- the market for low paid work would be there now whether they came or not as globalisation has driven wages down and left workers without rights so I won't point the finger at the " immigrants" and vote for Brexit.

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »

So many unknowns. So many things wrong with being in the EU, yet if we get out, what then? Which is the lesser of the two evils?

I feel much the same (independent of the EU deal which I haven't looked at thoroughly yet). My gut feeling is to stay in. I suspect that there would be lots of disadvantages to leaving which haven't occurred to many of us. I don't want to lose the EHIC card for when I am on holiday in Europe, not a major factor perhaps but important to me.

blossom60

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 12:52:20 PM »

Good point katejo.

There is also the fact that even if we do leave we would still have to abide most of the EU legislation, to be able to trade with them.  Countries like Norway, although outside of the EU, still have to follow the same rules.  However, they have NO SAY in the legislation that's made and no vote!!

Sounds like the worst of all worlds.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 12:53:51 PM »

A few years ago a family of young Polish guys and gals took over a run-down Hotel in Cumbria and turned it around.  They were saving hard in order to return home and go to University.  Brothers, sisters, cousins and an Uncle - all sociable, all improving their English language skills - certainly better than my Polish will ever be  ;D - and the food was lovely.  Served hot with a smile.

Where my Mum lives in the Fens the town has 'no go' areas - according to her - where foreigners live.  They have opened shops in run down areas and are trying hard to bring life back into those streets.  When Himself and I walk down those streets we are greeted with smiles and a wave.  I was talking to a barrister locally who hails from Brazil, has lived here for 20 years and over the years we've noticed that his English has really improved.  His sons speak 3 languages already  ::) …….

The UK has always been lazy about languages, one of the reasons why the Welsh don't like the English - 'cos we don't bother to join in.  The British Isles have been invaded since time began  ::) ………… my gut feeling is to stay 'in' .

limpy

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 01:46:06 PM »

my gut feeling is to stay 'in' .

How come that workers from the EU can get Child Benefit from the UK but their children live at 'home'  :-\  :bang: :bang: :bang: …… when their families haven't paid any UK Taxes?

I fear that should we live the 'common market', that mainland Europe will impose sanctions against us which will mean the cost of living may well rise - because 'they' will be able to charge the UK what they like for goods we import  :-\

My Grandads went to War to keep GB an Island  :'(

CLKD - Your comment today seems at odds with what you said yesterday............

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 03:50:23 PM »

:-\ does it ……… that should be 'leave' rather than 'live', blasted predictive text ……...