Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Nausea on oral HRT.  (Read 4904 times)

GypsyRoseLee

Nausea on oral HRT.
« on: February 17, 2016, 09:24:09 AM »

Since starting Femoston 2 months ago I have noticed a tendency to feel nauseous (not something I ever usually suffer from).

It's a peculiar type of nausea because I also feel quite hungry at the same time. But despite feeling really hungry I can't seem to fancy any foods, and after just a few mouthfuls I have to stop. Nothing tastes satisfying. It reminds me very much of how I felt when I was first pregnant, so it must be to do with hormones.

Since reverting back to the oestrogen only tabs at the weekend the nausea seems a bit worse. This morning was the worst yet, so I didn't take any Femoston and have applied a 50mg patch instead (still have some from last summer).

I'm hoping the nausea will stop now?

Has anyone else experienced this sort of nausea on oral HRT?

Dancinggirl

Re: Nausea on oral HRT.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 10:46:44 AM »

Oh GRL - if you keep chopping and changing your HRT you won't know what's working or what's suiting you.  The pills can give some nausea I think - they do need to be taken with food and one does need to eat small amounts often at our time of life. I actually get this type of nausea when off HRT!!! I tend to need to eat more and end up putting on weight if I'm not careful.
I think you are seeing Annie Evans soon? and having read your other posts about your recent experiences I would simply stop everything until you have seen her - She will then be able to advice starting from a clean slate. DG x

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 11:31:49 AM »

I know chopping and changing isn't a good idea. But I think I know that synth progesterone isn't any good for me at all.

I am reluctant to be totally oestrogen free until I see Annie Evans in 2 weeks. If I didn't have to work then I would probably risk it. But I am really concerned that stopping oestrogen might make me feel even worse?

Milamam

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 04:31:50 PM »

GRL, as I wrote before, I did get pregnancy-like nausea when I started with Femoston, esp the second month. This subsided with time but was awful! DG is right, you do change things quite often and it is hard to tell whether the effects are from the hormones or from the actual changes!

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 04:48:30 PM »

Yes, I know I have form for changing  :( But, I do think if I'm very progesterone intolerant then that just isn't going to change, regardless of which synthetic progesterone I try.

With my history of PMS, followed by PND and reacting badly to the Mirena (which I suffered with for 9 months hoping it would get better) it's no surprise that I am very progesterone intolerant.

I felt truly dreadful once the progesterone had chance to build in my system when on the BCP last year. Felt as bad last month on the progesterone part of 1/10 and the same was happening again this month on 2/10. It's not just feeling 'a bit' anxious. It's full blown anxiety that I can barely contain, and frankly makes me think about stepping under a bus just to make it stop.

From my research I do know that severe progesterone intolerance can cause this, and if you start to feel excessive anxiety, or have very dark thoughts then you are advised to stop taking progesterone immediately. I know I have read on here of a couple of women who react the same as me, and were told by their consultants to stop taking progesterone straight away.

I admit, if I wasn't seeing Annie Evans in 2 weeks I might have persevered with 2/10 for the rest of this cycle. But, I expect her to switch me to separate oestrogel and Utro anyway, as this seems to be by far her preferred treatment. And, I would much prefer transdermal HRT anyway for health reasons. So, I guess in my defence I didn't see the point in suffering through another 2 weeks of misery when there was a 99% chance that my regime would be changing anyway.

Kathleen

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 05:35:31 PM »

Hello GypsyRoseLee.

I am using Evorel Conti 50 mcg patch which contains both oestrogen and progesterone and I often feel the type of nausea that you describe. Mine tends to come on with one of my anxiety surges but in the past I've had the kind that felt like morning sickness and lasted all day.

I can understand your frustration and I've also been guilty of chopping and changing HRT because I was desperate to feel better and hoped I could at least identify what was making me feel worse! If nothing else your self experiments are giving you plenty of information to pass on to Annie Evans. In your situation I would do anything I could to get through the next two weeks and then present all your findings to Dr Evans and see what she recommends. It's tough, but you are nearly there!

Take care.

K.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 05:50:01 PM »

Thank you Kathleen. I do know I should persevere for 3 months at least on any regime. But I'm just not that strong it seems, sadly. Ironic really as I'm known for being 'the strong one' in our family. But the constant anxiety upheavels over the past 2 years have really battered me emotionally and I have very little left to 'fight' with against the HRT rollercoaster.

I am very fed up with myself, I must admit.

But, like you say, I have suffered through my 'research' so will tell Annie Evans there's probably little point trying me with any oral HRT.

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 06:40:04 PM »

GPL, a very definite 'yes' to oral HRT causing nausea.  When I was on Angeliq, I found I often had indigestion and the type of feelings your describe.  Transdermal is definitely the way forward for you.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2016, 07:18:38 PM »

Thanks MaryG.

Nausea barely noticeable today, after putting a patch on this morning. Fingers crossed.