Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Angeliq - to change or not to change?  (Read 6038 times)

Vanessa1

Angeliq - to change or not to change?
« on: February 23, 2016, 09:54:42 AM »

Hi ladies, sorry to bother you;  I posted this question in the 'new members' section & didn't get any replies so I'm assuming it was in the wrong place DOH!

I'm on week 14 of Angeliq (so 3 and a half months) - felt OK (but not great) up to now and most side effects passed, however for the past 2 weeks I have been itching all over (including 'down there') mostly at night and it's driving me mad!  I do remember having this before I started HRT so I'm not sure whether it's a new side effect of the HRT or my meno symptoms are returning?  I also seem to have very mild hot flushes which I thought had gone  :(

I have an appointment on Thursday to see my doctor and I'm debating whether to change to Femoston Conti 1 mg / 5 mg?  Will a change in brand make any difference or would I need to up the dosage?  Or wait a bit longer?

Sorry, I'm so confused!  any advice gratefully received ...

Mary G

Re: Angeliq - to change or not to change?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 01:38:42 PM »

Vanessa, when I was on Angeliq, I sometimes used to itch all over in bed at night just after I had taken the tablet.  I didn't find Angeliq very effective because I wasn't getting enough oestrogen out of it and my silent migraines started up again.  I then started slapping on a 50 mcg oestrogen patch to top it up (my own idea) and it was a marked improvement but it was still nothing to write home about and I always felt that there must be a better HRT regime out there somewhere.  That said, you might want to get hold of some patches or Oestrogel and give the oestrogen top up idea a try.  One word of warning, if you take too much oestrogen with this regime, you will get a period.  I ran this regime past a gynaecologist who said it was eccentric but nothing actually wrong with it!

Assuming you are not intolerant to synthetic progesterone, I don't blame you for not wanting periods so if you want to continue on continuous combined HRT, I would advise you to take one with a higher dose of oestrogen than the 1mg in Angeliq and Femoston that you are considering. Alternatively, why not use the oestrogen gel and take a separate progesterone every day?

I hope that helps.

Vanessa1

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 01:52:49 PM »

Hi Mary, thanks so much for replying ...

Ah, to be honest that's a relief to know you had itching too;  I was thinking there might be something terribly wrong with me!

Haha I love the fact that you slapped on a patch!

I don't think I'm intolerant to the synthetic progesterone (not at the moment anyway) so yes, I think this is what I will suggest to my GP on Thursday - the Femoston 2/10 perhaps ... and if that doesn't agree with me I will try the gel with the other thingy hormone.

Thanks so much  :)

Mary G

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 02:06:02 PM »

That sounds like a good plan.  Lay it on thick and say you are getting menopause symptoms on the Angeliq and you need something stronger.  That way, they will have to prescribe the higher dose Femoston.

Good luck.

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 05:19:58 PM »

Hi Vanessa1

Just to point out that the Femoston 2/10 is actually cyclical HRT that will give you a bleed. Unfortunately 1 mg oestrogen is the highest dose you can get of Femoston continuous combined HRT - ie the 1/5 you mentioned.

How far post-meno are you and what had your periods been doing before you started HRT ie how long since last one? If it's not dealing with your symptoms then it does sound like a higher dose might help, especially if you are younger too?

re "down there" you might also benefit from vaginal oestrogen if you are having problems as the tissues become thinner and this can cause itching and soreness. You mught like to ask about this too at your appointment? The different preparations are listed here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/local.php

Hurdity x

Briony

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 06:15:34 PM »

When I took the BCP Qlaira, which has a very similar progesterone to the one in Angelique, every month I had a few days of itching. It was always on Day 8 when the progesterone dose increased. After a while, it eased off.

Vanessa1

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 06:23:07 PM »

Thanks ladies, oh gosh I'm confused aren't I?

Was on the BCP from 25 to 40, then peri from about 45, with unpredictable periods, some light, some heavy. Then they stopped at 46. Then full blown meno symptoms from 47. Started HRT 3 months ago. I'm 48 now.

I will take a look at the medium dose HRT and  mentiin it to doc, plus the oestrogen you suggest.

Thanks so much x