Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Another vote for Maca  (Read 8147 times)

dogdoc

Another vote for Maca
« on: February 16, 2016, 08:00:54 PM »

Well. I've been on the Maca for three months. I have to say ( for me) it does appear to have made a difference in my overall quality of life, my anxiety, sleep, energy etc.

I HAVE NO IDEA if this is just random luck, or my hormones are giving me a little break or whatever, and I don't know if I can attribute the last few months to Maca ( the only change) or simply another stage of perimenopause or whatever, but these are the best few months I've had in a few years so it might be worth giving it a try since the safety profile is good ( at least in the short term) and the odds of bad side effects seem to be low ( again at least in the short term).

I've only skipped one period so far on this journey, and they're still coming pretty 'regularly' between 20 and 35 days apart anywhere from 4 days to 11 days long. No more heavy bleeding either, and hot flashes are better as well.

Might be worth a try for anyone like me who was having a hellish time with HRT while our own hormones are still running around in the background.

Tara

GypsyRoseLee

Re: Another vote for Maca
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:48:24 PM »

What dose do you take Tara?

dogdoc

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 01:35:38 AM »

500mg of pregelatinized maca capsule once each morning. I've been debating taking it twice a day but i'm scared to mess with what seems to be working :S
Tara

Sunnydays

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 09:53:34 AM »

Good news it's working for you Tara. I say stick with it and who cares if it's placebo (placebo can be very powerful) I think some women in peri have found it helpful but not so sure about post meno. If I find I can't get on with hrt (still trying 12 months on) I'm going to try it (I'm 2 years or so post meno)

SadLynda

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 11:50:09 AM »

Thanks for sharing something that works for you.  Sounds good to me, going to look into it further (have to check with other meds etc).  Glad you are doing well.

dogdoc

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 12:34:07 PM »

I waited three months to share because of placebo. Still could be I guess but none of the other meds i've tried ( B12, B6, omegas, theonine, etc etc etc) ever gave me a nice placebo effect ( which I would have taken happily) lol. Interestingly my husband bought a brand of Maca that I didn't want to use, so he ended up taking them himself ( again 500mg once daily which is an 'underdose' according to pubmed) and he says he things he feels 'less agitated' as well.

Mind you since I'm the major source of his agitation these days, maybe it's me being calmer that's helping him LOL.

I wish there were longer term studies on it ( 3-6 months seems to be the longest I can find) so you'd know a bit more about safety long term but all short term studies are good safety wise.
interesting medication.
Tara

Sunnydays

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 04:14:56 PM »

Tara, why the preference with brands? Are you able to say which one you preferred and why? I like your comment about being the source of hubbys irritation- rings bells here too!!

Dandelion

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »

I've read good stuff about maca in the past.
I hate to sound a drag but will maca be one of those things that get banned?
I bought some kratom a while ago, and despite the terrible smell, I had a great experience with it. If Big Pharma could make a medication like that, then the world might be a bit fluffier to live in.

dogdoc

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 04:18:27 PM »

I can't see it getting banned as it truly is NOT a hormone ( unlike DHEA and 'over the counter' sex steroid creams). I like NOW brand ( hope thats not advertising) simply because its a capsule and its the first brand I tried, seemed cost effective and seemed to work for me. It's a type of ginseng I think, peruvian.

The one my husband bought had extra 'stuff' in it. One change at a time only i think :)

Briony

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2016, 06:46:06 PM »

Really useful post - and great news  :). I wonder how we can find out about possible interactions with other drugs (hrt etc)?  Has it helped with your physical symptoms as well as the emotional ones?
B

dogdoc

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2016, 11:09:40 PM »

Yes Briony.  I THINK!! It has helped with insomnia, pvcs, hot flashes, sleep and most importantly weeping  and anxiety.  I pray it's not just short term lol.
T

evey

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 08:43:25 AM »

Hi
I am 57 now (post menopause 4 years approx)
I used a brand of Maca in my early 50's and it was great;  until I was 54 and my periods just stopped I had no symptoms of menopause, it controlled emotions, cycle etc I had no hot flushes at all,    I carried on taking it when my periods stopped but by then it was not strong enough to control symptoms and the hot flushes started with a vengeance.   That's when I went to my GP and started Hrt with a patch, down the line I did lots of research and found out about bioidenticals gel, utrogestan etc and switched from patch to this method, it has taken a good couple of years to get a system of usage that suits me, this site has been great for some ups and downs on the way.
Hope this helps.

dogdoc

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 02:20:47 PM »

Thanks Evey. That is my plan as well. Maca seems to be doing the job now....but my plan is certainly to supplement hormones if i'm able. I'm only 43 ( just turned) so have a long way before 'average age' of meno and would prefer my bones not dissolve lol.  Waiting until hot flashes are unbearable or I stop periods. Good to hear it worked for you :)

Gloria4

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 02:53:22 PM »

Count in my vote for maca too. I've been taking one called macafem for a month an a half and I like that one because it has quality control certificates and it has high quality selected maca. with this product I dont feel fatigued anymore and I have more energy during the day  :)

Briony

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 06:22:23 PM »

Just been looking at the Macafem website which is really informative. My only concern is that, as a vegetarian, I take a good quality multi vitamin every day. Would that and the Maca be too much (in terms of Iron and certain vitamins)?
Pages: [1] 2