Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Can emotional stress cause this?  (Read 6067 times)

rantywoman

Can emotional stress cause this?
« on: February 15, 2016, 02:53:12 PM »

I have been on a conti hrt patch for around a year and been fine with it. However, last Wednesday I noticed a slight brown discharge, which is almost down to nothing again now.. Prior to this, the only other times I have had this discharge is when I have tried to leave off the hrt and do without....ie, I have had a slight withdrawal bleed of old blood due to the progesterone decreasing.
I would like to know if emotional stress could have caused this to happen, as two weeks before all this something happened in the family and I have been worried sick. I have been post menopausal for around 6 years.

Dancinggirl

Re: Can emotional stress cause this?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 05:06:02 PM »

Hi ranty
The occasional bit of spotting can happen on a conti regime.  You will get some spotting and bleeding when you stop HRT and this is normal.  If you are taking pills then absorption could be effected if one is stressed and perhaps gets an upset tummy or doesn't eat properly and this might result in some spotting. I really wouldn't worry at this stage - if you get more of a bleed then do get it checked at the GP.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 06:16:20 PM »

Hi ranty

If you have been on the patch 6 years and have been post-menopausal for some time and haven't had spotting - did you notice it coming unstuck at all? I would have thought patch HRT would be less likely to be affected than tablet HRT. Personally I would pop along to the doc anyway but don't be persuaded into having to stop HRT before being investigated as this is not necessary.

Sorry to hear about your family issues - it could be down to emotional upset but I would still go - easy to get checked out and they should send you for a scan.

Hurdity x

mollie2

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 06:31:12 PM »

Always had this with the patch x

rantywoman

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 07:24:21 PM »

Ive only been on the patch for just over a year and had no problem with them sticking so far.
Another thing I thought of was the possibility that the patch I changed three days before the discharge started might have been a dud. I suppose it's possible the odd one or two could be faulty.
I think you're right, if it continues beyond a week I really should go see my doc, I've had transvaginal scans before . Here we go again, just as you think you're starting to feel ok something else crops up.....
Edit....I've just read that stress can reduce progesterone levels so that's another possibility , hmmmm

Thank you for your replies ladies
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:24:30 PM by ranty »

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 10:09:52 PM »

No experience of patches, but when I went through a period of extreme stress recently, it was as if I wasn't taking any pills at all!  (I'm on BCP).  I didn't have a stomach upset or anything that might have 'sped up' the process of hormones leaving my system, I was just extremely stressed.  Once the stress eased a little, the pills started taking effect again.  So yes, I would say emotional stress can affect absorption!  If things go back to normal when the stress eases, then you've no need to worry (if the stress is likely to be longer-term, then check with your GP - apart from anything else, you don't need to be coping with mad hormones on top of other problems and they may be able to help)

rantywoman

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 08:05:23 AM »

I'm sorry to hear you've been very stressed too Dorothy, I hope things are getting better for you.
That's very interesting to hear about the effect the stress had on your hrt as I have recently been thinking my patch didn't seem to be working quite as well as it had previously. Damned stress! It causes so many problems!

Trufflecat

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 08:42:20 AM »

Don't know about HRT, but when I was younger I had periods start early when very stressed, so hormones are affected .

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 03:30:18 PM »

Stress does effect hormones hugely. When my father died I didn't have a period for 3 months due to the stress and grieving.

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »

I went travelling with a friend for 3 months after leaving university - and I didn't have a period the whole time I was away - yet my cycle was always regular 24 days. Very convenient but most definitely a response to doing something completely different and perhaps stressful - although I didn't feel stressed!

Hurdity x

rantywoman

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 04:14:05 PM »

That's interesting hearing how people have been affected in different ways. Us women really are ruled by our hormones, for better or worse and at this time of life it's usually for worse!