Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Studying at our time of life  (Read 7326 times)

Dulciana

Studying at our time of life
« on: February 12, 2016, 07:40:57 PM »

I'm going for a qualification over the next year-plus and so far, I'm keeping all my studying to daylight hours.  I don't really do any in the evenings in case it tires me out for the next day.  This isn't because it had been doing that, but because I've read that we shouldn't overdo things at our time of life.  I'm wondering if anyone here is also working towards anything and if they brave any evening study.  I don't want to waste my evenings if I could be doing some useful work!   What's your experience of this?  Would it be so bad, or am I being neurotic?   :-\   Otherwise, I work part-time.   

Or does anyone have any thoughts on this?  How much can we take on?  I don't know if doing some work in the evenings would be good for me or bad for me, at this time of life.   :-\ :-\

« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 09:19:02 PM by Dulciana »

Ju Ju

Re: Studying for exams at our time of life
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 09:31:49 PM »

Sounds to me you are being sensible. As you become older, you have to pace yourself more carefully and allow for recovery time, particularly if you are working part time. But you do bring maturity, understanding and experience to your studies, so while you cannot burn the candle at both ends as you could when you were younger, you have huge advantages.

Well done for choosing to embark on this new adventure. Are your studies musically related? Whatever you do, look after yourself. Leave time to relax.

On a personal note, I find it difficult to do much in the evenings, particularly if I have demands on my time the next day, but then I am over 60 and have health and energy challenges.

Dulciana

Re: Studying at our time of life
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 10:16:05 PM »

Thanks Ju Ju.  I think I could at least try to do a bit, on the evenings when I'm feeling more energetic.  You're right about relaxing, though - I think that would be key.   

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 11:28:28 PM »

I did it in my late 30's, not having studied since I left school & found it hard. Hubby did a PHD in his early 50's but mainly studied during daytime hours. Evenings were for relaxing.

babyjane

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »

When I first stopped working for health reasons I wanted to 'prove' myself (not sure to whom) so I took up a musical instrument, learnt to play it and took an exam, grade 3, which I passed with distinction and 96%. It took a toll on me physically but I did it.
The year after, having returned to work part time, I studied for the first part of the professional exam for my work and I passed with a grade B. I enjoyed it but it laid me out flat and I was off work again.
It has taken me a long time to realise that I do not have to prove myself to anyone and these days I do things for me, for recreation, not to 'prove' anything to anyone, not even to myself.
All the best with your project Dulciana  :foryou:

Dulciana

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2016, 05:38:58 PM »

Thank you, babyjane, Stellajane, cubagirl and Ju Ju.  You've given me a lot of food for thought here.  Ju Ju, yes, it is a musical qualification.  (It's the higher version of the one I got two years ago.)  I think I might try to add on half an hour of an evening, just to see how I get on.   There's a reason why I hope I manage this.  I can either do (a) the whole caboodle in one sitting (hopefully in July 2017), or (b) part one next January, followed by part two a year or so after that.   The thing is, I would love to get this before I hit the big 6-0, which will be in 2019 - and plan (a) would give me more of a chance of that.   Please don't think I'm mad, folks - I just think you only live once (unlike James Bond!) And I've found that having a piece of fruit and a glass of water in the morning, instead of coffee and cake, is great for helping me to get some productive work done!  Maybe if I thought about what I consume in the evenings, too, that might also help.   :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 05:50:05 PM by Dulciana »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 06:58:38 PM »

Is there a strict time-table?  If you want to go out in the evenings because the weather is lovely and a walk calls, then do it.  If you find that the studying is waking you early, then get out of bed and do a couple of hours B4 breakfast.  It depends on your Life-style and how it will impact ……. I preferred to work rather than do chores around the house but the garden wins every time  ;D

I never did retain info well so had to make copious notes  :-\.  I find that I hold info less and less as I age so if you can keep up with the Course, go for it!  Your Life doesn't depend upon it ……….. our time of Life should be about pleasure and if this includes learning  ;).  Several years ago I started learning French  :-X

limpy

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 07:03:22 PM »

Dulciana - Be careful, if you do have to work in the evenings, there's a danger you will wear yourself out and end up being just too tired to enjoy the thing you are studying.

Dulciana

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 07:40:08 PM »

Deep down, that's what I'm a bit afraid of, Limpy.  Ho hum......what to do.......... :-\

(Couple of minutes later...)  I think I know what to do.  Plan (b), where I do part one this time next year, then concentrate on part 2.  More leisurely that way and I'm less likely to wear myself out. (My gut feeling is that studying in the evening would do that.).   And I'd have time to play lots of nice music for fun, before having to do so in front of people with mark sheets.  And it would still all be possible before the big 6-0! 

Folks, I really am grateful for your help here because I've been so uncertain about what to do, ever since my organ teacher suggested I go for the "big one".   Thanks ever so much.
Dulciana
 :thankyou:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:49:49 PM by Dulciana »

limpy

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 08:37:57 PM »

Plan (b) does sound good Dulciana  :)

Many years ago I spent many hours working all the hours that were sent. Full time job as a lab technician, doing night classes, oh and playing in orchestras & having horn lessons. I got totally wiped out and that was when I was 18  ::)         

Dulciana

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 09:18:26 PM »

Point taken, Limpy!    ::)