Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Anyone in a similar predicament please?  (Read 3447 times)

Drbellevue

Anyone in a similar predicament please?
« on: February 17, 2016, 05:52:17 PM »

Hi. I'm new to this.  I've been on HRT for 21 years.  My doctor has said if I stay on it, I'm at risk from breast cancer. If I come off I'm at risk from strokes.  What do I do?  I've been on it so long due to premature menopause.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated please.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anyone in a similar predicament please?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 08:22:04 PM »

Change your GP?  I am sure that someone with knowledge of HRT will be along soon.  UK GPs have recently been given up-2-date guidelines regarding HRT …… if you use the 'search' button for GUIDELINES you may find it.

Do you have a family risk of breast disease?  Even so!!!! and why would you be at risk from strokes?

Have a browse at the Daisy web-site too, for girls with premature menopause.  There is a Link on the Forum.

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 08:55:43 PM »

https://www.daisynetwork.org.uk/

The increase in breast cancer is small.  It is a correlation - no causal link has been found.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 10:32:53 PM »

Hi Drbellevue

If you began HRT at a young age then the years before you reached 51 don't count risk wise so you can deduct those from the twenty one years. This is because you were only replacing what should have been naturally yours up to the normal meno age. I'm not sure why you will be considered more at risk of strokes if you stop?

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 10:38:45 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Drbellevue - Unless there are health issues that prevent you using HRT then there is no real reason to stop.  The GP does have to make you aware that the risk of breast cancer does increase after 60  but if you are not overweight, don't smoke and have a healthy lifestyle then the benefits of HRT should outweigh any risks.
The general advice for women who have a premature meno (mine started when I was in my mid 30s) is to use HRT till natural menopause, which is 54!!! If you are still in your 50s then do continue with HRT and reassess at 60. If you are still well and happy at 60 and wish to keep using HRT then like many other women you could continue but with good monitoring.   DG x

Joyce

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 10:43:49 PM »

I've been on oestrogen only for over 20 years. I've tried coming off it 3 times & each time had to restart. I'm 60 soon & my GP said I can stay on it as life quality is more important. However, if my BP goes up then I'll have to come off it or if I was to have a stroke.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 06:25:10 PM »

Hi Drbellevue

:welcomemm: from me too.

I agree with what the others have said. How old are you now and what type of HRT are you taking? As you get older it's generally thought better to switch to transdermal HRT in the long term - so that is an option but if you're in your 50's as others have said - it's fine to carry on. Do you take a combi/no-bleed HRT?

Here is some info about the risks of HRT:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/risks.php

....and about the risks vs benefits:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/balance.php

Hurdity x :)

Mary G

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 06:49:09 PM »

Drbellevue, I think your GP is not only out of date but also very wrong.  Unless you have a family history of breast cancer, there is no evidence to suggest that the newer, bio identical, transdermal forms of HRT increase the risk of breast cancer, in fact, some experts now think it can decrease it so the complete opposite of what your GP said.  All the previous guidelines, like the time limit of only taking it for 5 years, were completely wrong and have since been discredited along with the two very dubious studies. 

I have heard that oral forms of HRT have a slightly higher risk of causing stroke/heart issues but even that is pretty inconclusive. 

Any small risk of breast cancer is in the dreaded synthetic progestin component of HRT, not the oestrogen part.  I intend to take HRT for life and I hope you are not put off by this and carry on taking it if you are happy with it.  What your GP needs to realise is that once you stop taking oestrogen, a whole host of other health nasties start to surface.

Drbellevue

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 08:52:52 AM »

Thank you for all your advice.  I feel so much better.  I have decided to stay on it. I don't have history of breast cancer in my family luckily, so that should reduce any risk a bit at least.  Thank you again x :)

Mary G

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 01:33:49 PM »

Drbellevue, good decision!  The health benefits of taking HRT are immeasureable not to mention quality of life changing.  There is no time limit, you can take it for life if you want to, I certainly intend to.

Good luck.

BrightLight

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »

Hi Drbellevue - great that you have made a decision, just wanted to say your GP shouldn't be giving you black or white advice like that, not helpful and not really correct. Good luck

Suzi Q

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 12:44:46 PM »

Hi sweetie
My advice get a NEW DOCTOR one who knows what they are talking about
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx