Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Virus giving very painful sinuses  (Read 8936 times)

countrybumpkin

Virus giving very painful sinuses
« on: February 11, 2016, 05:21:33 PM »

I posted at weekend about my very painful area of nose, well the painful area of nose got slowly better but I then got alot of sinus pain and pressure, the opposite side to the original nose pain. I am okay till mid morning and then the pressure sensations and aching gums/cheek and round eyes gathers pace.  My hairdresser today said she had had exactly this at new year and it took weeks to go away which cheered me up no end.
I saw my Gp today and he said that the original nose pain would have been the something or other sinus that drains into top of your nose being very inflamed and then this bug affects your sinuses and takes weeks to get better and he has been seeing alot of people saying exact same thing as me.  He told me same as everyone else " there is nothing I can do other than prescribe either beconase steroid spray or very strong decongestants that help with symptoms slighly but don't get you better">

So beconase nasal spray up hooter and am hoping this nasty bug whatever it is goes away soon as the pain in my face and the sudden pressures are not pleasant.

BrightLight

Re: Virus giving very painful sinuses
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 05:58:09 PM »

Hi there - sorry you are suffering this.  From the sounds of it, this is what I had late November/December - I was very congested and it just kept coming.  My head, throat, nose, eyes were all uncomfortable.  As well as doing things to boost my immune system like 1000mg of Vitamin C a day, more onion/garlic and echinacea I found that a saline nose spray really really helped. 

I discovered that when we get inflammation from a cold/sinus virus, the body will get into a cycle of producing more and more mucus.  If we can clear the airways regularly and try not to blow our nose etc, it calms it right down.  I got the saline nose spray from the chemist. Maybe you can try this.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 06:19:06 PM »

I find saline nasal sprays very good - there are a couple of brands and you can get them online if not at the local chemist. These are a natural way to sooth the sinuses without aggravating the situation.  Dg x

coldethyl

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 07:35:08 PM »

Hope you soon feel better. I've got something similar at minute along with a bunged ear which they said was wax, but I think is now just part of the general bungedness. Had something like it after I had my son years ago and my old GP said lots of warm drinks and running warm water over side of face etc in shower. xx

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 07:39:09 PM »

Thanks everyone. I had already tried the saline spray but found it made it worse but the steriod spray has improved things after first dose so here's hoping.  I seem to be worse from late morning to early evening for some reason!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 08:18:49 PM »

The steroid spray reduces inflammation locally.

Beconase helped my allergy symptoms.  I found if used too often it dried up my nasal passages giving different symptoms  ::).  Pain relief eased the sinus infections years ago, bending forwards was agony: like being hung over for no reason  :-\.
Maybe sleeping propped up? 

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 08:46:28 PM »

Sleeping is easing the problem, strangely its being upright thats making it worse!  This is whats odd about this bug as normal sinusitis is worse after you have been laid down.
Feels like face is going to explode when leaning over ::) 
I wonder which part of my face will be the worst tomorrow as yesterday it was my forehead and round eyes but today its my cheek and gums.
I also got the results of my shoulder mri today and I have subacromial bursitis.  One more to add to the list!

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 08:54:59 PM »

'itis' = inflammation/infection.  Sinusitis etc. …….. gin bottle opened yet?  ;)

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 08:24:04 PM »

The steroid nasal spray has worked wonderts at the moment, long may it last!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 08:33:48 PM »

I'm so pleased 4 U!  Did you sleep OK?  I first had sinusitis one C.mas morning in the 1970s, we were travelling to see relatives and I hardly dared to move  :-\ ……… an hour's car journey didn't help!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 09:04:03 PM »

Thats the strange thing about whatever this is - sleeping laid down actually got rid of the pressure etc and I was fine for first few hours in the morning then about mid morning it hit. Same thing every day.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 06:46:35 PM »

Could be something in the atmosphere that irritates the nasal passages = swelling.  Which the steroid will relieve.  How often do you use it?

countrybumpkin

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 07:22:58 PM »

I have to use it twice a day two sprays in each nostril for a week then reduce to one spray twice a day for a week.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 07:37:35 PM »

Any better?

countrybumpkin

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 08:56:08 PM »

I am now doing one spray twice a day.  I have had the odd pressure sensation but fingers crossed mostly fine.  I really have no idea what was what as I got totally better within one dose of spray and this just isn't posible reading the literature .  Will just have to see what happens or if it returns.

I do get weird stuff ;D
Pages: [1] 2