Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Tibolone  (Read 3209 times)

Janice68

Tibolone
« on: March 27, 2016, 10:53:54 AM »

Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone has been on this type of hrt and how long does it take to help symptoms. I know we are all different any ideas? And does  it help VA at all? any feedback wld be appreciated.
Hope you read this dancinggirl can't use other hrt I've tried everything else now!  Been on tibolone now for 6days!
Janxx

Dancinggirl

Re: Tibolone
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 12:08:37 PM »

Hi Janice68
I tried Tibolone for about 4-5 months after I had been off HRT for 3 years.  I had been trying to do without HRT since falling for all the scare stories back in 2002 but my meno symptoms hadn't subsided over the 3 years - I had been post meno since my early 40s. I visited a NHS meno clinic and wanted to try a Mirena with gel but unfortunately saw a locum doctor at the clinic who tried to fit the Mirena and my uterus was so atrophied(no HRt for 3 years)!!) I nearly passed out with the pain, so he couldn't fit it - this locum doctor was clearly worried and didn't know about vaginal atrophy!!!
Anyway I then asked if I could try Tibolone and went away with a prescription of this.  I have to say I was sleeping better within a week!!!! It worked extremely well and things were more comfortable down below - libido was certainly improved which is one of the big plusses of Tibolone.  The only down side for me was that I got acne - I have always been prone to getting spots and this really triggered bad outbreaks. 
I then tried one or two other conti HRTs before then asking the regular doctor at the clinic if I could try the Mirena again and she managed to get it in - by then the Tibolone etc had done it's job in reviving my uterus and vaginal area.
Basically - I would say Tibolone is fab as long as you are not prone to acne.  I believe in general Tibolone has fewer side effects and the risk of breast cancer is less so if it suits you that's great.
I have to say I got more acne posts with Utrogestan continuously as well - so I'm now going back to using it sequentially. 
I would say it could take 2-4 weeks till you will really start to feel the full benefits.  Dg x

Janice68

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 12:41:47 PM »

Many thanks dancinggirl for replying I wanted your input!!!!
Gosh you've been through it!!  My sympathies!!
I had to give up on the other hrts and this was the only alternative left so I am determined to follow this one through glad to no this has less side effects too! Thank you DGx bless you!! Your brill!!! X

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 01:37:30 PM »

Keep me posted. - You can always do a PM to me if you wish.  I do hope the Tibolone works for you. DG x

Janice68

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 01:53:52 PM »

I will keep you posted! I am keeping fingers crossed on the tibolone!!  What's the PM I'm bit dappy! Let me no what that comes under? Thanks for the support!! Your brill DG. X

matildamouse

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 03:08:20 PM »

I was on Tibilone for around 4 months and it worked great within days. I need to stop using it due to increased facial hair and acne as it has an ingredient which mimics testosterone activity in the body.( I have increased testosterone levels since my 20's!)  I did found that during the 4th months, my hot flushes and night sweats did surface again but not nearly as bad as it was.

My suggestion is it is worth trying to see whether it suits you by taking it for a few months and it it still works it is great!

Janice68

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »

Thanks for reply Matildamouse, I'm giving  it ago and see what happens!!!

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 03:59:14 PM »

One caveat with this is there is an increased risk of endometrial hyperplasia with long term use - but your doc should therefore monitor this by offering you a regular scan.

Also you may find you need extra local oestrogen to help with VA - some women need this as well as systemic (ie full) HRT to keep things comfortable down there. However worth pursuing on its own and seeing how you fare before considering whether you need Vagifem or similar as well?

Hurdity x

Janice68

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 06:58:16 PM »

Thanks Hurdity, I do use vagifem for VA!!

Sphere27

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 08:01:04 PM »

Hi I tried many hrt. Been on tibolone for nearly a year. No problems. Odd flush but nothing I can't handle. Problem with my legs at moment but hoping nothing to do with hrt.

Janice68

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 08:06:46 PM »

Thanks Sphere27, Nice to no!  Can I ask do you have regular scans? I've also tried many hrt too!!