Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Weevils  (Read 5057 times)

margaret

Weevils
« on: August 10, 2017, 05:37:47 PM »

It's me again, 5 weeks and the Weevils are still in my cupboards, I've just about given up, don't know what else to do, I've had the pest man in, I've used bleach, soap and water, can't understand how they're still alive, every morning I look in and see small jelly like eggs, I think I'm going to have to get new cupboards it's a bit drastic but how long will I wait :( :'(

Taz2

Re: Weevils
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 06:11:13 PM »

What type of weevils are they margaret? They are such a nuisance once they get into cupboards. Most weevils lay their eggs on the food product i.e. inside a cereal grain so if you are seeing them deposited in you cupboards then it is likely to be something other than a weevil. As long as you keep all fresh foodstuffs in screw top jars or plastic containers then the weevils which are present will eventually just die out. That's what happened to me anyway. What did the pest man say? I did find this online http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-prevent-get-rid-of-grai-140955

Taz x  :hug:

margaret

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 07:03:26 PM »

Hi Taz,

I had ordered a bag of flour from Sainsburys, it was when I opened it I saw them, and they were running out the bottom of the bag all over my benches, they had managed to get into my sugar canister on the bench, I put everything into the bin and have made a makeshift kitchen in my spare bedroom, I'm having a nightmare year, in June I had a nest of Bumble Bees in the bathroom ceiling, then kidney stones and was in hospital for 3 days, I opened my oven door and the rubber seal fell of so we couldn't use the oven, that was 2 weeks ago, got that fixed and lo and behold 2 days ago it happened again it's a design fault the seal is joined at the front and the heat keeps melting the glue, woe is me, sorry to go on, things can only get better xx
 ::)

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 07:09:01 PM »

Yep - onwards and upwards!

Although the weevils are a nuisance they don't cause any harm. Did he say which type they were? Where do you find the eggs?

Taz x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 10:09:30 PM »

Jelly like eggs are more likely to be slugs/snails  ::) ......... certainly the beetles that breed here from meal worms don't lay eggs.  Maybe contact your local Wildlife Group who should be able to send someone along to give advice. 

Have you seen weevils since? 

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 08:30:47 PM »

Did the situation resolve?

CaroleM

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 09:46:50 PM »

Have you managed to exterminate the wevills yet?

margaret

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 10:40:30 PM »

In the past week I've sealed all the spaces up in the cupboards with bathroom sealant, just found 1 this morning, I think it'll take me a long time before I put anything back in them though  :(

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 10:54:08 PM »

Did you find out what type they were?

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 04:47:09 PM »

Do you feel any better about it, after all, we share our Lives with so many critters, often unseen ;-)

Wish I lived closer  :-\