Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hello Ladies  (Read 2063 times)

Rocket Queen

Hello Ladies
« on: February 01, 2016, 11:19:08 AM »

Hi :)

Another new face on this very wild and windy Monday morning.

Prior to coming across this forum I thought your periods ended and after a year or so that was that.  You could have HRT for stuff like hot flushes but I had NO idea of how involved and detailed it is, had never heard of the peri-menopause and had had no idea there was such a wide range of HRT available.

I'm 58 (I hate saying that) and my last period was in January 2014.   I started HRT only in August 2015 and was given Femostan Conti.  In November was given Elleste Duet 2mg, then Femseven patches and last week I saw a duty GP in desperation who has given me Angeliq.   

I am currently off work with an "acute reaction to stress" amongst other things.   I guess it is too early to say if Angeliq is working but I know that the Elleste Duet was not suitable at all for me.   

I know it is very much trial and error but what I find so difficult is that you have to carry on appearing "normal" when in fact inside you are far from normal.

Suzi Q

Re: Hello Ladies
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:54:03 PM »

Hey hun IM sorry you feel rubbish
AND yes it does seem to be trial and error for many ladies on HRT
I cant contribute much as when I went over it was at the NO HRT it causes cancer
Gps stopped prescibing it and to be honest I didnt want to delay the inevitable
Plus I couldnt take it anyway Genetics
Yes we all think the same and for some lucky sons of guns like my beloved sis in law (being sarcy)
They sail thorugh it AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
But for most of us mere mortal its rubbish
Pre meno meno and the post meno for me it was one year as I went over at 37
As for normal I was about as normal as the B///// troll from hell big hugs xxxxxxxxxx

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 12:35:53 PM »

Hi Rocket Queen

:welcomemm:

I was exactly like you re knowledge of menopause. I had vaguely heard of peri-menopause but I thought it was just loosely the last 10 years before periods stopped and this would explain my worsening pms. Yes I thought that once periods stopped flushes would end and that would be it - I'd feel great again. Little did I know.....!

You are lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it - that you're having a late menopause - OK you had to put up with bleeds and pms for longer but you've had your own oestrogen for much longer so presumably have not had the menopausal symptoms for long unlike some unlucky women who started early like Suzi Q.

I do hope that preparation of HRT works for you. Some women find that they experience side effects from some of the continuous synthetic progestogens in the conti no-bleed HRT types and opt to remain on a cycle with a regular bleed. Hopefully you will be OK but there are other types if not. Many of us especially those who are older - prefer a transdermal regime ( ie patch or gel).

Good luck with it and keep us posted as to how you are doing :)

Hurdity x

Rocket Queen

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 05:41:39 PM »

Thanks for your replies Suzi Q and Hurdity.

Each time I visited my GP prior to January 2014 when I had my last period she would say "well it must happen soon after all you are at that age now".   I had no peri-symptoms that I can recall except maybe once or twice a day I would feel very hot in the face for a minute or two and then that would subside, and also the joints in my hands felt tight but nothing else.   Looking back it did affect my mood as I was quite stable on my anti depressant and then suddenly it all went haywire but I attributed that to some rubbish I was experiencing at work.

Since being on HRT I have not any hot turns.

I have now been on Angeliq one week and do feel somewhat better and have gone back to work today, albeit on a phased return for 2 weeks.

All I can do is take each day at a time I guess.

When I read about what some of the ladies on here are going through I do feel fortunate - touch wood.    I am definitely coming back as a man in the next life!

Machair

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 11:23:11 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forum- it is so lovely to have you here! Ah too a kindred spirit- I am almost 56 and still peri-  thought I was the oldest here!

Rocket Queen

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 05:29:12 PM »

Thank you Machair :)