Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Update Returning to HRT at 65 after a year off  (Read 2484 times)

skkb

Update Returning to HRT at 65 after a year off
« on: February 08, 2016, 09:34:10 AM »

Ok, day 6 back on HRT anxiety still high and hot sweats still frequent and HOT so not feeling great, part of this maybe due to worrrying about my forthcoming trip in two days time which takes me to the other side of the world for six weeks and fretting about how I'm going to be feeling. Doctor said use the HRT every day for one/two weeks (hope it kicks in by then) and then reduce to my previous level of 3 days a week. All a bit of trial and error really .......I know it's early days but not feeling very positive at the moment

Dancinggirl

Re: Update Returning to HRT at 65 after a year off
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 11:03:52 AM »

skkb - do tell us what you are using? It is very early days and if you have been without hormones for a year it will take some time for it to kick in and do it's magic.  I am about to turn 60 and after a one year break I did try going back on HRT fro a year, with some success, but actually found the erratic bleeding/spotting a real issue and had period cramps.  It is still very early days and I think you probably need to persevere and hopefully in a couple of weeks things will start to improve.
If you were using such a low dose before and you were not getting flushes and night sweats when off HRT, I actually wonder whether you really need HRT and in fact might do better with an SRRI if anxiety is you main symptom. Have you discussed this option with your GP?
DG x

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 11:35:05 AM »

Hi skkb. Good luck with your trip. I found that it took three months when restarting HRT after a year off for all of the symptoms to disappear. I really don't think that one to two weeks will be enough to replenish your oestrogen supply?  Are you on patches as these get rid of hot sweats faster than pills.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 12:34:20 PM »

Dancinggirl - if you see skkb's other recent threads you will see it is flushes and sweats that have returned for her since stopping HRT, and that she is using gel.

skkb - as Dancinggirl and Taz say it will take a while for your flushes and sweats to stop after being without HRT for so long and taking it every day is quite a lot all of a sudden - but I can understand your wanting to build up quickly again,. I presume you are taking progestogen and I now can't remember which you are taking - also have you started taking this at the same time? Just make sure you take some sanitary protection in case you get some initial bleeding/spotting because remember your body will need to acclimatise again.

You're bound to be feeling anxious about your trip - I always feel like this before going away especially by plane and I've never been on a long haul flight. Just carry on with the gel as prescribed and try to put these feelings out of your mind. I find when I am away, even physical things that bother me at home I just get on with and take whatever I need to keep me going eg migraine/headache/tiredness

Do persevere and I hope you feel better very soon and have a fab trip!

Where are you going?

Hurdity x

skkb

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »

Thanks for your posts.

Hurdity.....yes I'm being inpatient and realistically I suppose it will take a while for my estrogen levels to rise, the daily dose is only 0.5mg. I do have the progesterone but have decided, rightly or wrongly, not to take it whilst away for exactly the reason you say.....I may begin to bleed......and as its q fairly physical trip, trekking and the like, the last thing I want is a painful period. I'll resume the progesterone when I get home. It's the awful sweats/heat I'm really struggling with. Previously the HRT has kicked in fairly soon, but I can only wait and see on that. I'm confident that if the sweats subside or disappear a lot of the anxiety will go with them. I can only hope the HRT likes me as much as it used to and my body doesn't throw a wobbly!!

skkb

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 03:31:23 PM »

Hurdity, I meant to ask, what is your HRT regime, do you have a bleed and how often. Sorry if you've also answered this elsewhere.

Winterose

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 04:20:23 PM »

Skkb - have a great trip , if you are struggling maybe ask your doctor for a few calming pills, at very low dose they will curb the flushes and get you through run up to trip , I know they dont like handing them out but if you just asked for a few and explained why.  They also help u get over jet lag if you are prone to that.  I find that too much   stress will bring on a flush/slightly manic menapausal feelings!! :D

skkb

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 04:33:36 PM »

Thanks Winterose, that's good to know. I have actually been taking Kalms for the last few days and they do seem to help......wasn't sure if they would. It'll be great if it helps with the jetlag to and keep those awful anxiety/panics at bay