Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: beta blockers  (Read 4149 times)

dolly64

beta blockers
« on: February 07, 2016, 10:06:31 PM »

HI,im just wondering if anybody has taken stemitil while taking a beta blocker.my dr said I could but its worrying me.
I thought I was making progress with my anxiety but last few days have been experiencing off balance feelings,lightheadedness,sometimes quesy,i do also have some ibs.something always has to crop up :(.

dolly.

Ms Saucy

Re: beta blockers
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 10:26:44 PM »

I can't see any reason why you couldn't take the two. I use beta blockers for a health need, they help lots with anxiety. I also gave up alcohol and all caffeinated drinks to reduce anxiety too xxx

dazned

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 07:24:00 AM »

Ask your pharmacist they will know of any contradictions if any between the two medications.
Also there should be a list of medication interactions on the leaflets .

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 12:23:25 PM »

Hi dolly64

What are you taking the Stemitil for?

re the betablockers - these could well be the cause of your symptoms. These are primarily medication for people with heart problems http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Beta-blockers/Pages/Introduction.aspx and according to NHS are only less commonly used to treat anxiety amongst other conditions. Judging by the number of women on here this practice seems to be more widespread than "less commonly".

If you haven't got a heart problem then they themselves can cause problems - you can see the side effects on the link I gave, since they lower blood pressure. I presume the docs measure blood pressure before prescribing these to women - but given that blood pressure is almost always raised when visiting the docs I wonder how many women are prescribed these and then go on to experience just the sort of symptoms you describe because their blood pressure is reduced too much?

If you were prescribed these for anxiety and don't have a heart problem I would thing seriously about trying to reduce them. I have fairly low blood pressure (which I didn't know until recently because it's always higher when taken at the docs - although still normal) and do get these feelings you describe quite regularly and especially when I move or get up suddenly.

Hurdity x

Galadriel

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 01:59:33 PM »

Hi dolly64,

I was on betablockers a couple of years ago for anxiety. I felt very much like you, spaced out, light-headed and everything seemed to take such an effort. In the end, I asked to be weaned off them and felt better without them.

Instead, I went for acupuncture and psychotherapy for my anxiety - these two worked so much better for me. I prefer to address the cause if possible, rather than treat the symptom(s).

Good luck.

Galadriel x

Ms Saucy

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »

I use beta blockers for a benign essential tremor..... In my hand. They help with anxiety too but I have no side effects from the beta blockers x

Cazikins

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 11:26:03 PM »

I use beta blockers for a benign essential tremor..... In my hand. They help with anxiety too but I have no side effects from the beta blockers x

Me too Ms Saucy, you are the first person I have heard of using BB's for benign essential tremor. I've been on & off them for about 6+ years. I am on a very low dose 1/2 tablet a day, but boy do I know it if I forget to take it.

dolly64

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 09:13:10 AM »

thankyou for replies.
Hurdity I am on beta blockers for palpitations,which started same time as anxiety began.unfortunately they don't do much for my anxiety as I only take 15mg in morning and 15 at night,i cant have more as they lower my blood pressure to much.the stemitil I have from when I took it for nausea ect with my period,and as I have been feeling woozy,nausea lately I just wondered if anyone else had used it with beta blockers.i read your link and see that it can interact though. :(.I don't know if these feelings are to do with anxiety or possibly my ibs which is playing up and wont settle. I don't think its the beta blockers,but then again im not sure.If it doesn't improve I suppose another dr visit.
I saw a councellor yesterday,gave me a breathing exercise to do,ive already been doin things like that,relaxation,mindfulness,dr gave me online cbt site,have no groups near me.i force myself to do things,seem to improve and then anxiety changes its tactics >:(.

dolly.