Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Finger Arthritis  (Read 4727 times)

getting_old

Finger Arthritis
« on: February 06, 2016, 06:40:39 PM »

I think I may have this as my third finger on right hand is painful around the joint, hurts when moved, feels stiff, and the finger looks deformed. Think I need to make an appointment to see the doctor, although I hate going, but may try some joint pills in the meantime.

babyjane

Re: Finger Arthritis
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 07:33:08 PM »

oh hello getting_old. I have arthritis in my fingers, like my mum had. The knuckles are quite large and the fingers are bending and twisting.   I recently started needing my husband to help with peeling and chopping vegetables and I cannot spend as long on my word puzzles as I used to, not all at once anyway and if I do a lot of it my fingers become quite swollen for a while.  Little reminders that age is creeping up on us from all angles. Just have to do what we can  :)

Tinkerbell

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 08:46:46 PM »

I have had this in one of my fingers since late twenties!  Recently I have been getting the same in another one.
It is probably osteoarthritis and all the doctor will advice is to keep joint moving and to take anti inflammatory tablets.

Joyce

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 09:35:58 PM »

My fingers, hands & wrists are quite bad some days. They look fairly normal, so not sure as to cause. I'm seeing my GP next week about it. My fingers lock sometimes.

My mum never had arthritis in her hands, though she got in her knees.

scriv

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 05:28:01 PM »

I have this in my hands too.. I find it helpful to use Ibuleve gel on the fingers when they are hurting.

And like SadLynda in the post below, I keep the joints nice and warm.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 12:41:48 PM by scriv »

SadLynda

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:02:21 AM »

I have neoprene support gloves for this.  Also never go out in winter without my joints in my fingers covered, if it gets really cold I wear them indoors too, need to keep the joints warm.

(you can get them on the popular auction site) :)

getting_old

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 10:58:07 PM »

Well I've started taking Glucosamine and Chrondroiton tablets, and must get better at keeping my fingers warm as I have really bad habits of forgetting my gloves or wanting to take pictures on my phone  :-X
I think it's also in one of my thumbs too as that's hurting quite a bit. I already inherited my mothers (and grandmothers) arthritis in the knees, which I've had for around 15 years. I just hate the idea of getting old, and I know I need to start taking better care of myself, but sometimes I just don't know what I should do.

babyjane

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 10:00:36 AM »

getting_old I also feel in in my scaphoid joint (at the base of the thumbs). I find that too much typing/texting will also set it off, like a bit of repetetive strain so then i rest them. Neoprene supports are very good.

getting_old

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 11:24:46 PM »

Well I haven't seen the doctor yet, but have been to the phyiso who focused on my thumb which is swollen around the joint and very painful all of the time. He thinks I injured it whilst painting, but it's treatable if I spend the next week with it in a temporary cast  :(
Amazing how much you use your thumbs......

babyjane

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 09:52:52 AM »

yes it is. I have cut down on typing and texting and my husband helps with chopping and peeling and opening cans. I also stopped using the laptop mouse and use the pad instead and they are feeling better.