Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Patronising GP's  (Read 13493 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Patronising GP's
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2016, 09:22:41 PM »

Why would anyone go to see their GP with a cold? when there are Pharamices with treatments on their shelving  :-\.  A cough will go eventually - if one has a chest infection that is different.  Or ear-ache that doesn't go within 24 hours.  By attending the Waiting Room the Germ is likely to be spread around = more people ill …… so many GPs are asking for sufferers not to go with simple colds/coughs, tummy upsets or other illnesses that can be dealt with at home.

If we remember our Grannies who had to pay for every GP visit - no surgeries for them, house calls if absolutely necessary.

Katejo

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2016, 10:21:11 PM »

Why would anyone go to see their GP with a cold? when there are Pharamices with treatments on their shelving  :-\.  A cough will go eventually - if one has a chest infection that is different.  Or ear-ache that doesn't go within 24 hours.  By attending the Waiting Room the Germ is likely to be spread around = more people ill …… so many GPs are asking for sufferers not to go with simple colds/coughs, tummy upsets or other illnesses that can be dealt with at home.

If we remember our Grannies who had to pay for every GP visit - no surgeries for them, house calls if absolutely necessary.

True but I have had incorrect info from a pharmacist before as to whether I had a chest infection or not. Suspect that they refer patients to cover their own backs

CLKD

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 09:22:59 PM »

I had that years ago when I was on lots of prescribed drugs - I don't think the Pharmacist wanted to take the 'risk' of making suggestions, now I tend to stand my ground  ;D …….
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 12:44:16 PM by CLKD »

countrybumpkin

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 09:50:29 PM »

Long may my surgery continue as it is. They have some appt bookable online, some in advance and always lots available on the day if you ring first thing plus they will always see someone if they say they think its an emergency.  I booked a double appt online for my preferred Dr just last week because I had a few things to discuss with him and I apologised for the double booking and he said " you can have as long as you like whenever you need it".

A friend of mine has lupus and she is on immune suppressant drug methatrexate so is at high risk of infections. She developed a cough and temp and was seen within hours and given strong antibtioics and a chest x ray arranged which showed she had pneumonia. Goo ness knows that would have happened if she had been left for 2 weeks.

CLKD

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2016, 12:45:09 PM »

We are lucky here.  More GPs are being employed part-time and locums are always welcomed.

babyjane

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2016, 03:09:24 PM »

we have a really good surgery too, there are some out there  :)

Katejo

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2016, 03:31:55 PM »

we have a really good surgery too, there are some out there  :)
Where?  When considering a move, I browsed the feedback on the only ones close to me (practices here have a strict catchment area). They all had poor ratings. The only good one in E17 is not close enough.

CLKD

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2016, 05:09:12 PM »

I wonder if it depends on how long the Surgeries have been operational and how old the GPs are?  :-\

Dorothy

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2016, 10:41:53 PM »

Probably the area as well.  The best surgery I've ever been registered at was one in a very rural part of Devon.  It covered a huge but sparsely populated area and most of the patients were hard up farmers or gardeners who were fairly tough and would only take time off work to come in if there was no other option.  The GPs had the attitude that if you had bothered to make an appointment then it must be important, so you were never ever brushed off.  Then I moved to another rural area, but this time with a lot of wealthy couples with young children.  We had huge waiting lists as the mums would bring their kids in for every sniffle or rash.  Consultations were much more rushed there and unless you went in with something really obviously wrong, the GPs were inclined to dismiss you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]