Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Should i have come off  (Read 1937 times)

jazzcj

Should i have come off
« on: February 04, 2016, 11:52:41 PM »

Lovely ladies, my docs told me to come off Elleste Duet Conti after bleeding for two out of the 3 months I was on it.  I'm 52 and hadn't bled for over a year.  I have fibromyalgia, endometriosis and fibroids and I didn't think this type of oral hrt was good with everything else I have.  I'm waiting to see the Menopause Clinic.  Been told it wont be before March.

All the reasons I went on hrt still exist.  Have I done the right thing?  Hoping I wont regret it and get really bad again!!!  Oh what we have to put up with ladies.

Warmest wishes

Jan

Nina

Re: Should i have come off
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 07:46:59 AM »

Erratic bleeding is common for the first 6 months of continuous hrt. I would stay on it for this time to see if it settles. You could try a patch if you don't ultimately get along with the tablet.

Good luck  :)

Tinkerbellj

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »

Jan I have had 6 different types.of hrt and when I bled on one my gp told me to cme.off it asap as my own hormones were breaking thru. Personally with all u r battling. ..same as me btw I found the gel the best. I am currently off everything for a few months on gynae advice to re do  naseline bloods. Its hard but when I do go back on I am going for bio identical gel etc. I think avoiding anything oral is a good idea with fibo cuz digestion isnt always the best and less stress on the liver is always good. Hope u get something that works soon sending u gentle hugs xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 12:50:13 PM »

Surely if the hormones are causing breakthrough bleeding and surely if the GP refers the lady for a scan of the womb to check on build up, one shouldn't stop using if all else is OK  :-\

GPs are so keen to stop HRT but there are new guidelines issues recently - maybe have a chat with a Pharmacist and go back to your GP and tell him/her that the symptoms are troublesome?

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 01:59:51 PM »

jazzcj - If you have fibroids and endo then an oral HRt - particularly a conti one - is highly likely to give you erratic and problematic bleeding.  Did you actually feel better apart from the bleeding?
Your best option will probably be to have a Mirena fitted as this will often shrink fibroids and reduce and often eliminate erratic and heavy bleeding as well - this is why the Mirena is so popular with gynaes and will be their preferred option for many women.  Alongside the Mirena you can then add as little or as much oestrogen as you need - gel or patch is best.  DG x

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 01:47:40 PM »

Hi jazzcj - you might like to have a look at the British Fibroid Trust website http://www.britishfibroidtrust.org.uk/mirena.php  They mention the mirena too

Taz x