Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Doctor happy to put me back on HRT even at 65yrs.....  (Read 3678 times)

skkb

Doctor happy to put me back on HRT even at 65yrs.....
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:35:41 PM »

We chatted, I stated my case on how dreadful the last year off HRT had been. He readily agreed that I should resume my HRT as previously which was Sandrena gel 0.5mg three days a week, as it was a very low dose, which I had been doing for years and it was enough to stop all my symptoms. He also said that a lot of his colleagues in the medical field also thought that the risks of HRT had been overstated, of course others will disagree......this is exactly why we ladies are so confused as to the best way forward. Reading the enclosed leaflet with any medicinal products whether prescribed or over the counter is pretty scarey. So he said to use the gel each day for two weeks to get it back in my system and then drop back down to my three days. I can only hope it works and I feel as good as I did a year ago!!

Hurdity

Re: Doctor happy to put me back on HRT even at 65yrs.....
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 12:38:16 PM »

:congrats:

Great news skkb and hope you feel better very soon!!! This gives us all hope!! What progestogen do you use?

Hurdity x :)

skkb

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »

Micronor which has always been ok for me.....hope my body is feeling happier in a couple of weeks time😊

limpy

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 01:40:25 PM »

That's really good news skkb.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 01:48:34 PM »

At last you can move forwards!  DON'T read the leaflet  ;)

Let us know how you get on!  Maybe keep a mood/food diary will give you an idea as to how it's working!

skkb

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 02:13:34 PM »

Good idea....will do that and definitely NOT reading the leaflet 😀

Clovie

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 03:13:09 PM »

Great news!!  :)

This is encouraging news as well, that doctors are willing to prescribe if we so wish to continue. Quality of life is what its all about.
Well done and hope you feel much better soon  :)

skkb

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 03:42:08 PM »

That's interesting Stellajane, how long do you take the estrogen for and then how long do you stop it for.....would like to perhaps try that myself at a later date. Yes I do take progesterone but don't have a bleed....not sure why, assume it's because it's a low dose of both estrogen and of progesterone!!

Mary G

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 05:01:42 PM »

skkb, that's very good news.  It sounds like the penny has finally dropped with some doctors, perhaps they need to think more about all the health problems caused by low oestrogen rather than the overstated and unsubstantiated "dangers" of using HRT. 

I'm sure you will feel better very soon!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 05:17:17 PM »

Quality of Life Girls: Quality of Life  ;)

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 05:20:37 PM »

Agree MaryG. My Mum hadca surgical menopause at only 42 and only took HRT for a few months afterwards. Fast forward 10 years and her then GP congratulated her on doing without HRT 'much better and safer'. Fast forward another few years and she shattered her wrist in a fall, and was left with limited mobility. And now she has heart issues, needing medication and constant monitoring. So hours and hours of medical time.

How is that 'better and safer' I ask?

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 05:22:32 PM »

Hindsight and all that ……..

Mary G

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 05:43:32 PM »

GPL, it is not better or safer, is it extremely shortsighted and I am very sorry that you mother has paid the price for that shortsightedness. 

As I have said on here before, many women think they are doing well without HRT because some, my mother and myself included, don't have hot flushes or night sweats.  The problem is, oestrogen deficiency very often comes back to haunt you in later life. 

Looking back at my blood tests results, I can tell you that my cholestorel levels are much higher when I am not taking HRT and also my thyroid levels become decidedly borderline.  They both go back to normal when I am using oestrogen.  This is just one small example and I haven't even got onto the bone density issue. 

If the so called experts are trying to put women off taking HRT for monetary purposes, it will fail miserably - hip replacements, oesteoporosis and heart problems will cost the NHS a fortune. 

skkb

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 06:15:17 PM »

Goodness GRL and MaryG that's so interesting , I have often wondered if money could be the issue as most surgeries are on a tight budget but as you correctly state it could come back to bite them in future years in treating many symptoms in women derived from estrogen starvation . Would be nice to be a fly on the wall 50 ahead !!

Hurdity

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 07:53:35 PM »

My last attempt to reduce the dose was in 2013 summer when I reduced to 37.5 mcg patch ( from 50) after some spotting but even this small reduction for 3 months caused a return of flushes so I'm certainly not prepared to put up with those while I'm working - or rather it's the sweats and resultant insomnia that is the real killer. For me 50 mcg certainly seems to do the job ( well I've recently increased to 62.5 and that's fine too :) ). I know I will be 63 in 3 months and probably should be reducing but there's plenty of time for that (hopefully!).

Hurdity  x
Pages: [1] 2