Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Newbie...not sure if I'm premenopausal  (Read 3212 times)

Cecelia

Newbie...not sure if I'm premenopausal
« on: February 01, 2016, 12:52:36 PM »

Hello to you all

I'm coming up 54 next month and have no idea if I'm in the menopause...sounds stupid I know. After spending most of the weekend reading through your posts I began to realise I do symptoms which I have just put down to old age (aching bones, achilles heal problems) I put it down to starting looking after my grandchild a number of days a week!

What I would like is some advice on when to stop taking the mini pill nacrez. My Dr put me on it a number of years ago and said it would mask the symptoms of the menopause. I've read on the internet I can take them up to age 55. What concerns me is if they are helping to mask any symptoms will I get them with a vengeance once I stop? Tbh some of you seem to be really suffering. My sister has had severe symptoms a number of years now specially with panic attacks and depression.  I have hypertension which I have regular screening for but apart from that the Dr has left me well alone. I hate to sound so ignorant specially as you all seem so jenned up on it all. I'm in two minds as to carry on as I am and wait to see at what point I'm refused any more pills.

Suzi Q

Re: Newbie...not sure if I'm premenopausal
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 01:01:46 PM »

Go to to GP or well womens clinic sounds like you could be on your way to LALA land xxxx
Nothing to be scared about but dont leave it theres abso no need
I came off the mini pill and ovestin in 2010 after 12 years
I went on to Vagifewm GP said I didnt need the mini pill then
Id been put on Femulen mini pill and Ovestin NO HRT for me
Now its just Vagifem
HRT is a delaying thing some on HRT get some symptoms for a bit after coming off then  they go xxxx

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 05:23:27 PM »

Hi Cecilia

:welcomemm:

Does the mini-pill stop your periods? If so you will have no way of knowing how near menopause you are except for your symptoms. The progestogen in that type (desogestrel) does depress oestreogen levels which will be falling anyway as your ovaries begin to pack up. It is reasonable to assume that most women by age 54 (I think from memory the figure is 80%) have reached menopause by this time.

What other symptoms do you have and do you take any other medication? The classic menopausal symptoms are flushes and sweats as well as joint aches, fatigue and a whole host of others.

I agree with Suzi Q to get yourself along to a menopause clinic - at least first go along to your GP - if you are in UK? Personally I would want to be stopping the mini-pill and starting some form of HRT (containing oestrogen) which should help with some of your symptoms. You might well be able to start straight away on a continuous combined (no-bleed) HRT at your age - but it would be a question of ensuring you are OK with the progestogen as the HRT tablets have different ones in them! They are all listed here - for post-menopause:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/postmeno.php

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

Cecelia

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 06:39:47 PM »

Hi

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I don't bleed on this mini pill. The main symptoms at the moment is the aches in my feet (struggle to walk first 10 min in the morning) it has helped slightly by having insteps in my shoes. My lower back aches with the pain moving to the front which feels like I'm on a perminant period. I do have hot sweats but nothing like some of the ladies on this forum have - find myself standing outside on a night to cool down and bedroom windows wide open all year round! I suffer with carpet tunnel and incredibly dry mouth. I also have very dry itchy skin.

The last couple of years I have also struggled sleeping and do take a sleeping pill around once a week. Tbh I've not connected all of these problems with the menopause but just the fact I'm getting older and taking care of a toddler!! My main worry is if i stop the pill will I get full blown symptoms? As I said before my sister is really suffering with panic attacks and anxiety/depression as do many on this forum- the thought scares me to death :'(

Just feel so stupid not realising these symptoms could be menopausal :-X

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »

The mini pill isn't likely to be preventing menopausal symptoms of flushes and sweats - but only preventing the fluctuations of progestogen as you are presumably taking it all the time. You won't get more symptoms if you come off it - but if you are not at menopause then you might eventually bleed?

Anxiety and depression are caused by low oestrogen amongst other things so I would change to a combi HRT type. Have a look at the ones in the link and if you like the idea of a tablet then I would suggest Femoston is a good one to try as this is well tolerated by many women. The low dose (1/5) would be the one to try. At your age it is likely your oestrogen levels are very low - depending on how close to menopause you are. If you carry on with the mini-pill without extra oestrogen and you reach menopause then it can cause over-thinning and ulceration of the endometrium - and random bleeding/spotting so not really advisable I would say.

I presume you've had blood tests to check everything is OK generally eg re thyroid, levels etc?

Hurdity  x

Cecelia

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 02:49:13 PM »

Thank you for that hurdity.

I having seen a Dr in years - only see hypertension nurse so maybe having bloods is my next job. I'm not sure if I want to go down the hrt route, suppose it depends how bad the side effects get.

Thanks