Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Never dreamt it could be this awful.....  (Read 3451 times)

skkb

Never dreamt it could be this awful.....
« on: February 01, 2016, 10:22:27 AM »

One year off HRT and still such severe sweats I think they'll kill me, honestly that's how they make me feel.....can they kill you? Anxiety levels through the roof and all that goes with that. Doctors appointment on Wednesday but just feel I need hormone levels checked before trying anything else "willy-nilly" added to which I'm away in a weeks time for six weeks on the trip of a lifetime, so I've run out of time to do anything beforehand. Basically I'm stuffed. Also been reading up on going back on HRT which "they" suggest isn't a good idea in your 60s, wish I'd never stopped taking it. I feel so unwell and desperate

Taz2

Re: Never dreamt it could be this awful.....
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 10:41:55 AM »

Hi skkb - I understand how you feel having had a year off it. Although some GP's are not keen on women carrying on with HRT after 60 as long as you have the risks explained to you, and your overall health is ok, then there is no reason not to take it. I had it re-prescribed at 61. A patch or gel HRT is advisable though. If you start patched on Wednesday then you could be feeling much better flush-wise within forty eight hours so it may not be too late!

If you are unsuccessful then a medication such as Dixarit can help with the flushes. Two of my friends are on this as they can't take HRT and no longer get flushes.

Taz x  :foryou:

peegeetip

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 10:58:04 AM »

"they" suggest isn't a good idea in your 60s

This is generally for ladies who have not taken any HRT option at all.

The earlier studies had most problems with the average age of ladies being mid 60's and having no HRT options since their Menopause.
Suddenly introducing HRT to someone who has not had estrogen for more than 10 years is the main problem these earlier much maligned studies had.

Your short break is not a problem if you want to go back to where you were before.
Please note that ultra low dose is for those ladies above who've had a long time without HRT.
You should be able to go back to your old dose.

Hope that helps reassure you.

:-*

skkb

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 12:00:48 PM »

Thank you so much for your prompt replies, it gives me some comfort/hope that maybe I could restart before my trip. I had weaned my dosage down over many months until I was actually only using Sandrena gel 0.5mg three times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) I thought this to be a really low dose but young female doctor still talked me into the risk factors and that I should cease. So wish I hadn't. Still have three boxes of the gel upstairs, feel like slapping some on but maybe wait and see doctor on Wednesday first!! Thanks again.

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »

skkb, sorry you were talked into stopping HRT based on absolutely nothing.  As peegeetip said, the now completely discredited study that wrongly damned HRT was using women who were 10 years past menopause and NEVER HAD HRT and they were giving them outdated forms of HRT.  This does not include you and there is no reason why you should not take it.  Your doctor is completely out of date and needs to catch up.  Go and see her but if you have a six week trip of a life time and she doesn't agree to you going back on it, just go back on it anyway using the gel you already have. 

I would have no hesitation whatsoever in slapping it on.  Please don't allow your trip to be spoilt.  Good luck!

skkb

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 02:15:52 PM »

Thanks Mary, I anticipate it would take a while to get into my system, but if I start today perhaps I'll have a good chance of some relief!!

Mary G

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »

It it was me, I would get cracking straightaway.  Your trip is only two weeks away and you want to feel as good as you can for it.  Hopefully the gel will kick in quickly (it usually does) and you will feel like a different person in a couple of weeks!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 03:40:18 PM »

Make sure that whatever you are prescribed, that you can continue with it whilst away?  You are cutting it a bit find if you have plans to go away  :-\ ………..

Hopefully your GP will be sympathetic to how badly you feel and give you suitable treatment!

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 05:43:38 PM »

Hi skkb

Sorry to hear about how rough you are feeling. I completely agree with all that the others have said! Yes do go to the doc by all means - and check you are still medically fit, but as you are going away in a week I would be inclined to do what Mary G suggest and get on with it using your old sachets - as you say you only used it three times a week and if that was enough to keep you sane then so be it! Trip of a lifetime for 6 weeks - sounds fantastic and you definitely don't want it to be spoilt!

I presume you've had a hysterectomy and you were using oestrogen only so no need for progestogen?

Good luck - keep us posted and enjoy your trip away :)

Hurdity x

peegeetip

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2016, 10:34:58 AM »

young female doctor

One day your doctor will understand exactly what we go thru  :o

skkb

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2016, 03:16:49 PM »

Will let you know what doc says tomorrow. No I've not had a hysterectomy, I used to take progesterone on the same 3 days as the gel.....not very scientific I'm sure but a friend who takes 3 days of estrogen only and still has her uterus agreed with consultant at the meno clinic that he would send her annually for womb to be checked, forget what it's called, she said it was quite painful but she is prepared to do it as no way is she going back to a monthly bleed!!