Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Hrt  (Read 3547 times)

Deb64

Hrt
« on: January 27, 2016, 04:18:47 PM »

I started hrt about 10 days ago, im on .650 or something like that. I had a full hysterectomy almost 9 weeks ago and its accellerated my flushes horrendously. I have on average during the day about 3 an hour and at night up to 5 an hour, so im not sleeping ag all. I just want to know how long does it take for the hrt to get in your system as so far it hasnt made a difference at all. Someone please help.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:09:37 PM by Deb64 »

Kathleen

Re: Hrt
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 04:39:20 PM »

Hello Deb64.

I am sure one of the  experts will be along shortly to advise you but I wanted to say welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for help support at a difficult time and hope you feel better soon.

Take care.

K.

Deb64

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 05:08:36 PM »

Thankyou Kathleen x

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 05:24:03 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Debs 64
Do check the amount of oestrogen you are taking as 0.65 is probably not enough??!!  You should only need to use oestrogen as you have had a hyster which is great, unless you had endometriosis in which case they will then give progesterone as well.
It can take some time for the oestrogen level to stabilise but in your situation I'd try Oestrogel so you can adjust the dose - starting on one pump per day and then increasing after a few weeks if you find you need a bit more.
It sounds to me as though you need a higher dose. Oestrogen Patches can also be good - using hormones via the transdermal route is often more efficient as it doesn't have to go through the liver.  DG x

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 06:51:52 PM »

Hello Deb64 and welcome to MM!

I just want to back up what Dancinggirl said, I think your dose is probably too low.  I too would recommend the oestrogen gel and as Dancinggirl said, you could try 1 pump every day and go on from there.  The beauty of the gel is that you can easily adjust the dose to suit your needs.

Deb64

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 08:13:44 PM »

Thankyou so much for your replies, i am looking into it just think i should maybe give it a bit longer as i still dont know how long it should really take and the sleeplessness is getting worse as well. Im still off sick from work at the moment and there is no way i can go when im having these flushes cos i am literally dripping from head to foot and cannot face people looking like this and also with me not being able to sleep, i do early starts at work (4.30 am) so thats not going to help me either. My GP gave me 3 months supply of the hrt, i feel that i cant waste them but am getting desperate now.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 08:59:05 PM »

Debs64
You haven't told us how old you are or why you had the hyster - this type of info helps us to support you.
It also helps to know exactly what HRT you have been given and the dosage?????  As you are getting quite severe meno symptoms then oestrogen is going to be essential - I wouldn't worry about wasting the pills you have been given - if they are not helping then you need something else.  10 days isn't long and if you are on a low dose then it will take longer fro your symptoms to subside if they are going to. I would give these pills just couple more weeks and see how it goes but the transdermal route is often more effective. Do remember you are recovering from major surgery and you really need to rest - so try to take it easy and don't think about work for now.
If your flushes etc are not better in the next 2-3 weeks then you really do need a higher dose.   DG x

Worrywart

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 10:15:43 PM »

Hi Deb64
I had a total hysterectomy three years ago (I had been on HRT prior to the op) but I have had to  take a significantly higher dose since, and it did take a while to get back under control. Plus, as Dancinggirl says, you are recovering from major surgery and that is not to be taken lightly. If you do try the gel, I believe they generally start you on two pumps, but I've ended up (I'm on patches) on about a 75 Mcg patch, which is equivalent to three pumps of gel. I hope this info helps a wee bit.

Briony

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 10:56:58 PM »

Hi Debs
It took three months plus before I noticed a difference. Not sure if the fact you've had a hyterectomy makes a difference? Have you looked at the Hyster Sisters site too? X

Deb64

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 01:42:24 PM »

Hi Dancinggirl and everybody else.  Thankyou so much for all of your replies, theyre very helpful. In answer to your reply DG, im on Premarin 0.625 mg. Im coming up to 52 and the reason i had the hysterectomy was i had very large fibroids that were pressing against my bladder. I must say it has solved the bladder problems. I was getting mild flushes for 2 years before i had op, i thought they were bad, but now 30 times worse. I havnt had a period since i was 40 as i had to have an op then (MEA) because of bad periods for many years prior. I am going to give it a couple more weeks to see if it does make some difference, if not i will look into trying something else. Once again thankyou so much for all of your advice everyone. Finding it very helpful x

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 03:06:01 PM »

Hi Deb 64

:welcomemm:

I agree with the others that transdermal oestrogen (patch or gel) might be the way to go because it is easier to adjust the amount and the absorption is more reliable. Did you have your ovaries remoived as well - it sounds like you may have?

Do take care of yourself as you are still recovering form a major operation. Those early starts sound tricky....

Hurdity x

Deb64

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 05:00:11 PM »

Thankyou Hurdity and yes i had the lot taken and yes they are a killer the earlies x