Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Prempac C, can I delay or bring forward my next period?  (Read 4316 times)

mariat

Prempac C, can I delay or bring forward my next period?
« on: January 28, 2016, 03:41:53 PM »

I'm 58 (almost) and have been taking HRT for about 3 months now. It's been a godsend, as no more awful hot flushes etc. The only downsides are tender boobs and a period every 4 weeks. If I had my way I'd be on it till the day I pop my clogs!

Now, my question is, can I either delay by a month or bring forward by a week, my next period? I'm off on holiday on 29th Feb for a fortnight to somewhere particularly hot and humid and really don't want to be on then. Apart from anything else I want to swim and snorkel.

I thought I'd ask on here before I bother my doctor about it.

Taz2

Re: Prempac C, can I delay or bring forward my next period?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 04:04:50 PM »

Hi mariat.

Were you still having periods when you started this HRT? I only ask as at your age you should really be able to use a continuous HRT which is designed to give you a continuous amount of oestrogen plus progesterone so that you don't have a monthly bleed.

I believe that other members have used two packs of HRT back to back to delay a bleed and no doubt they will be along soon to advise.

You will find lots of help and advice on here. I'm glad that the Prempak has got rid of the flushes!

Taz  x :welcomemm:

mariat

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 12:48:23 AM »

Hi Taz

No, I last had a period about 7 years ago. I'm not sure why my doctor has put me on Prempac C, but apart from the periods I'm really happy with it. Of course, not having periods would be even better!
I'm not keen on changing to a continuous type before I go away in case it doesn't suit me as well. Let sleeping dogs lie!

I still need some advice on how to avoid or bring forward the next period please. Time is getting short and if I need to ask my doctor about this I'll need to make the appointment soon.

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 07:56:19 AM »

There is something here from a few years ago http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/a-question-of-health-26315.html  which might help under "A period of delay". It seems to make sense that if you don't take the progesterone but carry on with oestrogen only pills for longer then your period will be delayed. I'm not sure about bringing the period on earlier. If you don't want to bother your doctor have you thought about asking your pharmacist? Ours are really helpful.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 11:44:05 AM »

The other suggestion is to continue with the progestogen combi tablets for another two weeks which is like taking conti HRT. It depends when in the cycle you normally get your bleed and where you are now with it?

If you normally bleed towards the end of the combi phase then Taz's suggestion is better. If you normally bleed a couple of days after the end of the prog phase then maybe continue with the combi tabs (ie the second two weeks of the next pack) - but it does depend where you are now too!

If you wanted to bring forward a week then you would just start to take the combi tabs a week into the new pack instead of a fortnight ( or wherever they usually start). You bleed under these circs would be lighter.

Also depends on how you feel on the combi part too - if it makes you feel rough then I would do the early bleed or Taz's suggestion!

An argument for continuing with the combi tabs for longer would be you get to feel what it's like on conti HRT although I see the conti Prem type HRTs have a different progestogen!

Hope this isn't confusing...

Hurdity x

mariat

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 11:48:03 PM »

Okay, so....

I start bleeding a few days after I finish the 4 week pill cycle, and it lasts for about 4 days. I'm now 8 days into a new pack. So, if I carried on as normal my next period would start around the 24th Feb. As I go on holiday on the 29th, it would be cutting it a bit fine.

So, if I cut out say 4 days of the oestrogen only pills, would that bring the period forward by 4 days? Or as I understand it, if I finish this course then carry on with the oestrogen + progesterone from the next pack, cutting out the oestrogen only, it would delay the period until they finished?

If that's right I think I would rather do the first option and get it over with before I go.

BTW I feel absolutely fine while on the dual pills, so perhaps the combined pills would suit me. I'll look into that when I get home.

Thanks for all your help :)

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 05:27:50 PM »

Hi again

Yes probably best to bring it forward - then at least you'll know that you've had the bleed, otherwise there is a chance you could get random spotting or something! it will probably be lighter than usual as you won't have been on the oestrogen only for as long.

Good luck and hope it goes to plan! :)

Hurdity x