Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Hello....and hysteroscopy  (Read 2386 times)

clairegwen

Hello....and hysteroscopy
« on: February 19, 2016, 04:05:53 PM »

Hello, thank you for letting me join  :)

I had a hysteroscopy and an endometrial biopsy on Monday (for thickening of the lining of the womb), and up until today have been bleeding. Although the bleeding seems to have reduced a lot overnight, I am still having stomach ache. I'm just wondering if this is something others have experienced?

I am 47 years old and was told over two years ago that I was perimenopausal. (My mum started the menopause in her early 40s). I haven't had a period for over two years. I had a short bleed last year, and then what looked like a full proper period lasting a full week on the 13th January, and then another lasting another week on 1st February. I saw the doctor, who referred me to the hospital.

My appointment was on Monday. I was a complete wreck. I've received a letter today confirming that I had a hysteroscopy, which revealed thickened endometrium. "There was no obvious sinister findings" according to the letter, which is excellent, but they took an endometrial biopsy, and are going to write to me with the results.

I am the biggest wuss when it comes to medical matters! Husband had to be with me when they did the hysteroscopy (he was a diamond!). I am now worrying what is going to come back in the results. I'm really trying hard not to google!! I am so glad I have found this forum and would really appreciate any reassurance from anybody having had a similar story to mine x

Hurdity

Re: Hello....and hysteroscopy
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 08:59:15 PM »

Hi clairegwen

:welcomemm:

Sorry to hear you are worried about your investigations.

I have had a hysteroscopy and biopsy because I had a thickened lining - but I am on HRT and use it cyclically and the lining thickens and thins depending on where you are in the cycle.

The good news is that if they saw nothing sinister that is a good sign. I had to have mine because they did see an irregularity on the surface but decided it was a fibroid but took a biopsy just in case - but it was fine.

You say you didn't have a period for two years but then you mention a short bleed and proper periods. Did you have 12 months between any bleed at all including the short one? If you haven't gone a full 12 months without any bleeding or period then you are not post-menopausal so another period may well start at any time as several women have found on here to their dismay. In the intervening time the eggs may start to ripen in the ovaries which produce oestrogen which then thickens the lining. If an egg doesn't ripen then the thickening carries on until you ovulate and then the lining comes away as a bleed. In peri-menopause - even late on - this can be the cause of heavy bleeding.

It's good that you are having investigations though and hopefully all will be OK.

In the meantime have you see this article about the peri-menopause?
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

Have a good read and please don't worry - as you are in good hands with the NHS. Nice husband too :)

Hurdity x

clairegwen

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 12:24:47 AM »

Hi Hurdity, thanks for your reply.
In 2011/12? (I think), I went to the Drs as my periods were sporadic, short, and unreliable. They tested me then and said I was perimenopausal. Months after that, my periods disappeared, and I didn't then have anything for over two years (until last year when I had an odd short bleed (but didn't do anything about that one as nothing else happened). That was that then until January this year.
Thanks for the link, I'm going to have a read of that, thank you.

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 09:21:15 AM »

Hello clairegwen and welcome to the forum.

I had a hysteroscopy last year due to a thickened womb lining and had the same reply as you. The biopsy results were also normal.  Many ladies here have had the same experience and I'm sure they'll be along to reassure you.

I agree with Hurdity, you are being well looked after so try not to worry ( impossible, I know).

Take care

K.

clairegwen

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 01:54:12 AM »

Thank you Kathleen x