Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Newbie 52  (Read 1808 times)

Daintydish

Newbie 52
« on: January 27, 2016, 10:58:24 PM »

I found this site on Saturday after the most horrendous night ever. Ladies I have to thank you all, I've discovered that I'm not losing my mind, I am in fact "normal"!!
I'd been on hrt (Elleste Duet 1mg) for 16 months and all was well and under control. I came off it 4 months ago and all was still well, better in fact as I've not had a period since Sept. My peri symptoms consisted of flushes, sweats, irregular periods, irritability& irrational thoughts. I didn't know it could get so much worse.
At Christmas I became very weepy and felt I wasn't needed or wanted by my family anymore. I felt insignificant. I put it down to the pressure of Christmas. Last week I started to feel the same way again and realised it was a month since my last bout of crying. On Friday I broke down at my friend's house and Friday night I had the worst night sweat ever, my whole body was soaked, I'd only ever had head sweats before. I couldn't sleep, my shoulders were aching for no reason, my skin felt ****ly. 3 or 4 times over the past week I've got up during the night and been sick. I cry at the drop of a hat, it feels much the same as the baby blues, not like grief or bereavement, just inconsolably sad.
On Monday I was having palpitations at work followed by a panic attack. I've never had either before, it was very scary. I've been on the verge of tears all day every day at work and today they just flowed, I felt such a wuss. Hometime couldn't come quickly enough. I cried all the way home in the car.
I went to see my GP this evening and we had a long chat. We discussed my options and have decided on going back on hrt. I think having a bleed every month is a small price to pay if it means my life will get back on track.
I told my GP that I'd found you and she said "Menopause Matters is one of the better sites with a lot of very helpful information."
Thank you all so much, you have been a real comfort and support to me over the last few days, you've really helped me through the most distressing time.

dazned

Re: Newbie 52
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 08:34:07 AM »

Hi  :welcomemm:

Sorry to hear how bad you've been ,after how well you were on elleste duet was there a reason why you decided to stop hrt? Hopefully you will start to get some relief soon.

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 08:56:46 AM »

Hi Daintydish

:welcomemm: from me too!

You haven't said how old you are but sounds like a sensible decision to go back onto HRT given your symptoms when stopping it.

You didn't say which type of Elleste you were on but I presume the 1 mg or 2 mg cyclical type? It may well be that you don't have a bleed at all off HRT - but you would need to wait 12 months to say whether you were post-menopausal and that is too long! Therefore as you say you are to be given a cyclical type again and a bleed is a small price to pay. Some of us are still opting to have bleeds in our 60's!!  ::) Hope you feel better soon.

Hurdity x :)

Daintydish

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 07:02:09 PM »

Thanks ladies, I came off Elleste Duet on my GP's advice. I'd been on it almost a year & a half and she felt that I would probably be ok off it as im now 52,  I'm also Type 2 Diabetic and the risk of heart disease from diabetes combined with the risk from hrt was also a factor in deciding to come off it. I was ok for the first couple of months but then all these feelings suddenly happened. I do feel so much better today, it's unlikely to be the hrt just yet, more to do with having got it off my chest. I've spoken to my manager at work today as well, I don't want to be seen as a miserable cow at work! My husband has been a tower of strength, now he knows what's going on! He doesn't fully understand, bless him, but he's very supportive.
Onwards & upwards  :-*

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 04:36:07 PM »

Oh dear another GP with out of date knowledge! Why on earth would she think that 18 months would be sufficient I don't kbnow as even those who only suffer with obvious adverse symptoms for a short time would be likely to need it for longer than this. You trial run without. It is thought that HRT is protective of the heart. There is information on this site about HRT and diabetes and I know there have been women on here with diabetes who take it.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/atoz.php#GlossD

Diabetes   
    Women with type 1 diabetes are thought to be at increased risk of osteoporosis and coronary heart disease. The association between HRT use and diabetes has caused some confusion; some studies, including the Women's Health Initiative trial, showing a reduced risk of diabetes in women taking HRT, yet fairly recently HRT advice sheets advised caution when using HRT in diabetic women. Currently, HRT may be used when indicated in women with diabetes, and it is thought that either low dose oral estrogen or transdermal (patch or gel) preparations are best. If progestogen is required, either dydrogesterone or micronised progesterone seem least likely to interfere with diabetic control, although further studies are required on ideal type and route of HRT. A recent study showed reduced fasting glucose levels in women with diabetes taking low dose tablet combined HRT. The use of sage is not advisable in presence of diabetes.

I note that Type 2 diabetes is not mentioned.

Anyway hope you manage to feel even better soon - once you have re-started HRT!

Hurdity x :)