Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Patronising GP's  (Read 13505 times)

Katejo

Patronising GP's
« on: January 27, 2016, 05:20:10 PM »

Does anyone else have this problem? I had simply prepared myself for the limited time in the appointment. I had read up using NHS websites on the relationship between menopause & thyroid conditions. It is not as though I had googled unreliable sources. However I still got ticked off for doing any of my own research at all. He claimed I would get high blood pressure through stress by doing so.  He did agree on a blood test to check my thyroxine levels but that was it.
I am not going to complain as he did answer my  other question ok but it does infuriate me when they behave like that. If it were easier to get an appointment, we wouldn't perhaps need to do it as much.

Dancinggirl

Re: Patronising GP's
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 05:31:42 PM »

I hate being patronised -  I had a similar experience from one of the practise nurses a couple of years ago - she implied I was on HRT to stay looking younger and proceeded to give me a lecture on weight loss - I am relatively slim and she was at least 3 stone overweight!!!! .  It's a sign of their insecurity - when a patient comes in all clued up it puts them on the back foot - still unforgivable though. I write everything down these days so they have to read my concerns and questions - I print off relevant info to show them as well.
To say that researching on the net will raise your blood pressure is so silly - I would simply have said  "I actually find it rather reassuring to find out there is appropriate treatment available!!" Try and see a different GP at the practise next time.  Dg x

coldethyl

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 05:35:30 PM »

Mine are just so quick to attribute everything to my anxiety that I sometimes think if I went in with a great white shark attached to my leg, they'd say "it's just stress."
Recently I got told off for knowing my BP had gone up on some medication - why are you taking your BP? Because you told me to for my diabetic review. Then I got the lecture about it stressing me out, which was true but they'd started it off!!!
Then my diabetic review was carried out by someone fatter me!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 06:36:03 PM »

I once had to see a neurosurgeon about my neck condition and had been warned he reduced some patients to tears he was so abrupt and outspoken.

I decided that I would not take offense or let him get to me but I remember one visit he sat there on his side of the desk - huge stomach hanging over his trousers, bald head and only a face a mother could love and he said "  do you know if you were thinner you would be quite good looking". I was gobsmacked and kept thinking did he really say that. I found it funny as it was def pot calling the kettle black but could see how others might have been really upset by it.

Katejo

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 06:42:11 PM »

Oh Coldethyl, I did laugh at the shark comment, but how frustrating for you and Katejo.  You'd think theyd be pleased that unlike a lot of people, we actually take an interest in our health issues and knowing how little time they have to discuss any concerns in great detail, surely by preparing for the appointment it must save a lot of back and forth trying to get to the cause.  And don't get me started on all the time wasters that fail to attend their appointments which means that we all have to wait weeks for the appointment in the first place!

S x

I was amazed to get today's appointment. I had made so many attempts to get one that I wrote to the GP and handed the letter in at reception yesterday. Within an hour I got a call offering me today's appointment. My practice normally does same day only appointments due to other patients not turning up. Today I felt that I was well prepared with relevant questions rather than being vague. This GP is an older Asian male. He may be less patronising towards male patients!

Katejo

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 06:43:28 PM »

I once had to see a neurosurgeon about my neck condition and had been warned he reduced some patients to tears he was so abrupt and outspoken.

I decided that I would not take offense or let him get to me but I remember one visit he sat there on his side of the desk - huge stomach hanging over his trousers, bald head and only a face a mother could love and he said "  do you know if you were thinner you would be quite good looking". I was gobsmacked and kept thinking did he really say that. I found it funny as it was def pot calling the kettle black but could see how others might have been really upset by it.

Ha Ha!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 08:21:55 PM »

A friend has changed from 1 Practice to another due to GPs not referring her to a diabetic clinic after diagnosis 5 months ago, she's had no advice other than to keep taking the diabetic 'pills' and when she wanted a blood test in case it is the start of a serious condition, the Nurse said "So you think you've got cancer now then?  Too much looking at the inter-net".   :bang: It would take 1 blood test to put my friend's mind at rest, regardless of whether it shows the very rare cancer …….. at least then she could move on if treatment were required/not.  >sigh<

Dorothy

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 09:39:53 PM »

This GP is an older Asian male. He may be less patronising towards male patients!

Doesn't always follow.  When I had to have a gynae op a few years back I was really hoping for a female gynae - I got one for the initial consultation and she was totally horrible and extremely patronising.  The actual op and aftercare was done by an older Asian male who couldn't have been better.

Katejo

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 11:04:05 AM »

A friend has changed from 1 Practice to another due to GPs not referring her to a diabetic clinic after diagnosis 5 months ago, she's had no advice other than to keep taking the diabetic 'pills' and when she wanted a blood test in case it is the start of a serious condition, the Nurse said "So you think you've got cancer now then?  Too much looking at the inter-net".   :bang: It would take 1 blood test to put my friend's mind at rest, regardless of whether it shows the very rare cancer …….. at least then she could move on if treatment were required/not.  >sigh<

In 1992 my Mum developed multiple myeloma. She had been to the GP more than once and was fobbed off with painkillers and a recommendation to see an osteopath. Somehow another GP in the practice eventually heard about her case and arranged a Bentz Jones (calcium  deposits in urine ) test which helped to give a delayed diagnosis. By then she couldn't walk any more due to the pain. She died 2 months later.

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 12:59:04 PM »

Bugga ………. That is so sad ……….  :bighug: ………. surely it's called 'listening' and 'considering' why a person is suffering consistent symptoms.  At a time when we should be pro-active, feeling ill and not being listened to takes the wind of our sales  :'(

In these days of internet where it's all 'out' there, not necessarily all of it correct; I would expect the medical profession to at least take on board what a patient might be suggesting.  If only to alleviate mental health issues  :-\

SadLynda

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 04:07:59 PM »

That is very sad Katejo, so sorry for the loss of your Mum.

Most of you here know I changed GP twice before finding a 'decent' one.  The last two practices I went to could not give a monkey's.  My husband is still with the first practice, he has been treated for folic defiiciency which was just 1 point below ::) been back twice since with exhaustion, constant itching and boils and was finally told a few weeks back there is nothing wrong with him, but we get up too early? I get up at the same time, and I am often tired but not exhausted. I am trying to persuade him to change GP, but as he was told to go back in 2 months if he still feels the same that is what he is going to do.. I find it very worrying.

When I first went to the GP nearly 4 years back with insomnia I was told to go back in 6 months.  I went back in 6 months and he still refused to help... I could go on. (and on).

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 04:38:52 PM »

Could constant itchiness and boils = lack of iron/zinc?  Maybe go into a Pharmacist and ask?

Katejo

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 05:05:27 PM »

When I went back to the gp last time as my chest infection wouldn't clear up and a pharmacist friend if mine told me to go back, the doctor- not my own and hopefully not one i'll see again, started with telling me it was my asthma and to go to clinic. I explained it never got that bad and it was due to my infection, I was breathless etc.he sent me down fie ECG and when I came back said he had lots of other patients waiting as I'd been there forty minutes..well I thought it would be a quick prescription, how am I supposed to know! He then said well you should have made an appointment for earlier in the day as surgery was closing soon.I pointed out I rang at 8 in the morning and that was the only timethey could get me in! >:(he dismissed that by going yes yes yes.then asked me what the rash was I had on my chest and tummy.I said it wasn't it was just a hot flush when I get stressed..wonder why I was stressed? :)- I said it hadn't been there all day and he said "it must have been". Uh no, it was gone by the time I got home.four times he asked me if I was on blood pressure tabs as it was up.when I said yes he asked if I took them.er no, I spend eight quid on the prescription and then flush them down the loo of course! When I later went to hospital I complained to the doctor there how stressed it made ne.
The GP who saw me yesterday told me that I would get high blood pressure if I searched for symptoms online.

Katejo

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 05:07:01 PM »

Bugga ………. That is so sad ……….  :bighug: ………. surely it's called 'listening' and 'considering' why a person is suffering consistent symptoms.  At a time when we should be pro-active, feeling ill and not being listened to takes the wind of our sales  :'(

In these days of internet where it's all 'out' there, not necessarily all of it correct; I would expect the medical profession to at least take on board what a patient might be suggesting.  If only to alleviate mental health issues  :-\

The GP could see that I had consulted an NHS web page. What is the point of having them if we aren't supposed to read them?  ???

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 09:09:36 PM »

Because some GPs think they have the font of knowledge? and if they 'allow' patients to interact with up-2-date knowledge, the Surgery might have to pay out for Consultants, tests etc.? 
Pages: [1] 2 3