Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Switching hrt strength  (Read 1626 times)

Nuttynora

Switching hrt strength
« on: January 27, 2016, 12:35:12 PM »

Hello ladies

Would love a bit of advice as I have 3 different packs of femoston but have finally got 1/10 prescription to go and collect.👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

I've had to start my old 2/10s rather than have nothing but currently the on the estrogen only part but not having the bleed I've been having like clockwork the past 4 months,once the tablets are estrogen only.

Requested the change of dose as I was bleeding for 2 weeks,which I've just realised has been throughout the progesterone stage of tablets,on top of the normal post progesterone tablets Bleed.
Should I wait for the bleed or just start taking the 1/10's? Bit scared to have a break at this point as away for the weekend and could really do without the constant searching for a toilet.

Big thank you to the ladies who responded to my previous post, otherwise I would taking the 1/5's which are not appropriate as far as I can see from advice on here and the leaflet inside the packaging.

Kind regards

Nuttynora xx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Switching hrt strength
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 02:07:07 PM »

Sorry can't help - sure someone will be along soon!

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:33:14 PM »

No expert, but in my experience, if you have been bleeding for 2 weeks, then that is why you are not bleeding at the usual time.

If you have started the 2/10, I would continue taking that until the end of the pack (and do a diary so you have something to compare the new one with) then start the new 1/10 at the usual time.

You could just switch straight to the 1/10, but that would introduce a new variable.

You could ask the pharmacist's opinion, when you pick up the new ones (if they are right this time  ;))

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 02:38:29 PM »

My view is that if you are on the oestrogen only part of your HRT then you can switch straight over to the 1/10 as long as you start at the same point in the packet eg if you are on Day 4 then start Day 5 of the new packet. That means you will always be slightly out of sync with your packets - but you may well be out of sync with your cycle anyway!

The problem of course with combi HRT is that it is one dose fits all - which doesn't fit all. The excess bleeding may either be due to your own hormones kicking in as you are still peri-menopausal, or because the progesterone is not sufficient in the proprietary product.

Have you thought of a Mirena coil ( not that I have) as that keeps the lining thin and will eventually stop the bleeding especially as you get near menopause? You can then adjust the oestrogen until you feel good. Although there is minimal systemic absorption - the progestogen in the Mirena is not as close to our progesterone as the one in Femoston.

Hurdity x

Nuttynora

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 05:47:39 PM »

Thank you ladies, I'll start on the 1/10 and see what happens.

Saw a different doctor today who gave the prescription immediately but as I sat down I actually asked if he knew much about hrt,his answer was no.
Have been referred though so by the time I get that appointment things should have settled down if the change in dose works,and if not hopefully the hospital will be more knowledgeable and find me something that suits.

Thank you once again for taking the time to answer my questions ladies xx