Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: post menopase  (Read 2865 times)

jools56

post menopase
« on: January 22, 2016, 01:01:18 AM »

Hi im new to the site but im hoping someone can help. Im 56 and havent had a period for over 12months im certain, im not on HRT and have had very few symptoms really. A few days ago there was blood spot on my pants, ive got the feelings i used to have when i had periods it was only once but now after reading up on this ive scared myself. no one in my family has had any kind of Cancer.  Pleae can anyone help before i go off to the doctor. :-\

Dancinggirl

Re: post menopase
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 08:11:48 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM
It is not uncommon to get the odd spotting or even a period in the late peri menopause stage and if it was just a slight spotting I wouldn't worry. If it happens again in the next few weeks then it should be investigated to be on the safe side.  Pleased to hear you are not suffering bad meno symptoms - this is great.  Try not to worry - do pop to the GP so they can reassure you if you are anxious. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 05:06:18 PM »

Hi jools56

:welcomemm: from me too

Personally I would definitely make that appointment to see your GP if you have had any post-menopausal bleeding/spotting - if you are sure you haven't had a period for 12 months. Although you say it feels like a period ( so this is quite likely to be a hormonal blip) at your age I would defo go - what have you got to lose? You will most likely get re-assurance but you will be fast-tracked for investigation and hopefully this will put your mind at rest. I would always take the opportunity to have scan if one was offered, just as a preventative check if nothing else.

Hurdity x

jools56

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:10:42 AM »

Thanks guys I appreciate all the advice I can get .  I will get it checked out . Like you say its better to get it checked than to leave it. :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 04:12:20 AM »

It happened to me and I had it checked out. I was reassured it was unlikely to be anything sinister, but was sent for an ultrasound scan just in case. All was well. Best get it checked though.

Floppy53

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 11:17:22 AM »

hi I had to go private to get HRT femoston 1/10 which i started last week i was suprised to come on as my periods have been light or not at all for over a year i had a 5 month gap then just spotting then stopped .am not looking for ward to telling my doctor what i have done as she gave me anti depressants and a pat on the head .my question is should or is it ok or normal to bleed after 10 days on the HRT .

Katejo

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 12:01:51 PM »

hi I had to go private to get HRT femoston 1/10 which i started last week i was suprised to come on as my periods have been light or not at all for over a year i had a 5 month gap then just spotting then stopped .am not looking for ward to telling my doctor what i have done as she gave me anti depressants and a pat on the head .my question is should or is it ok or normal to bleed after 10 days on the HRT .
So did you have to go private because the GP simply refused to consider HRT? On reading these forums, I do wonder why some people get HRT relatively easily while others meet resistance.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 02:40:35 PM »

Hi Floppy53

:welcomemm:

Your post probably got missed by lots of us because it was on an existing thread. Anyway you shouldn't have had to go privately to get HRT at all! Your GP is out of order in prescribing ADs for menoipausal symptoms - the new NICE Guidelines on menopause state that HRT should be prescribed ( if no medical reason not to).

Some spotting or bleeding is common when you first start HRT and especially if you haven't had a bleed for some time. You may have had some build up of womb lining but without ovulating which is what happens during peri-menopause. The progestogen in the Femoston then presumably led to the early bleed. It should settle and you should stick with the 28 day cycle. Eventually your bleed should come towards the end of the progestogen phase or just after you start a new pack and are back on the oestrogen only tabs.

When you go back to your GP I hope you have a prescription from the private gynae which you can give to the doc. If you are nervous about going back to the same doc who gave you ADs - is there another one in the practice you can go to, and prepare what you are going to say. You should then be put on a repeat prescription.

Maybe start a new thread and introduce yourself?

More importantly - hope you feel better soon !!! :)

Hurdity x