Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: New treatment for MS  (Read 2324 times)

blossom60

New treatment for MS
« on: January 18, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »

BBC panorama tonight at 8.30.

Brand new treatment for MS which involves bone marrow transplant.

Sounds really promising. :)

Ju Ju

Re: New treatment for MS
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 10:18:57 AM »

They interviewed a young chap on BBC Breakfast this morning. Seems promising, but not suitable for all. You have to be fit in other ways and in the first 5 years, but it's early days still. Still sounds promising.

limpy

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 01:59:36 PM »

It's so so encouraging to hear of new developments for treating MS.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 06:43:14 PM »

I saw the lunch-time News  :) - great to know that behind the scenes Research is coming up with some hopeful ideas! 

countrybumpkin

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 05:34:49 PM »

Fantastic that it worked for some. I have a friend with MS and he  is much less enthusiastic as bone marrow transplant proceedure is agonising to go through with huge risks but he said he could understand someone who is severely affected would be willing to give it a try.  He is relapsing remitting type and he can go from being bedbound and needing hospital care for weeks on end to literally getting out of his bed and walking so he has fairly good quality of life in between his relapses. 
Its interesting to get a sufferers point of view.

Smokey

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 09:18:34 PM »

It does seem to be having great results so far, I wonder what problems and side effects will crop up in their two year trial.

I'm not doing too bad five years from diagnosis but the fatigue/exhaustion is the worst and mainly the only symptom I have and I do wonder if part of that is partly menopause related and can defiantly say it's changed my life even without disability, I remember a man with slight balance issues that was on the trial and after he commented that his walking was slightly better after day 9 of the transplant and that it was no longer an effort and this really hit home and made complete sense to me, and maybe in the future this may address our fatigue issues or maybe something similar to do with stem cells etc.

Ann x