Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mini pill versus HRT  (Read 3609 times)

Kazza48

Mini pill versus HRT
« on: January 24, 2016, 06:27:03 AM »

I've had a coil for past few years, at 49, my doc put me on the mini pill rather than HRT a couple of months ago.  Seems to calm down most of the symptoms but I bleed every day. Sometimes just spotting, other days like a mini period which is usually dark brown.  Should I get coil removed, not sure if this is the reason or not? Would reassure me to hear experiences.  Am happily single so no need for coil but bleeding is getting me down. Thanks for listening.

Hurdity

Re: Mini pill versus HRT
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 10:39:21 AM »

Hello Kazza48

:welcomemm:

I am wondering why your doctor gave you the mini pill instead of HRT when you already have the Mirena coil? I presume the coil is not yet due for renewal as the hormones run out after a few years? Did you have menopausal symptoms that you wanted HRT for?

With a coil it's often difficult to tell where you are in menopause because it can stop periods completely giving you a false sense of your last period - ie it would be earlier than if you didn't have a coil. Did you have menopausal symptoms eg flushes and sweats? The mini pill will do nothing for these and in fact I would suggest if your Mirena is still giving out progestogen then you are having far too much progestogen. This can cause over-thinning of the womb lining ( atrophy of the endometrium) which can cause ulceration and irregular bleeding.

If you are getting other menopausal symptoms then I would stop the mini pill if the coil suits you and ask for some oestrogen only  HRT - either tablet, patch or gel and this should help your symptoms and stop the bleeding.

Alternatively if the coil is more than four years old the bleeding could be because it has stopped working and you need to renew it (as well as stop the mini pill). I am wondering if you were given the mini pill because you were getting bleeding on the Mirena?

If you tell us a bit more then hopefully we can help :)

Hurdity x

Kazza48

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 09:26:49 PM »

Thanks for your response. TO be honest I have no idea why the GP gave me mini pill when I have had coil for 5 years.  Yes I have menopause symptoms, flushes and recently night sweats.  Main issue was anxiety so I'm also on Prozac.  And now bleeding every day.  Feeling pretty confused about what to do.  I think my GP is a breast cancer survivor and won't prescribe HRT. If she did, which one should I have then?

Suzi Q

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 02:25:30 PM »

Why  as your happily single have the coil removed its not being used!
I didnt take HRT and dont like it myself BUT Id say your GP shouldnt be bringing her medical stuff
In to her surgery or patients its like a Catholic GP refusing to prescribe the Pill they arent allowed
Cos I didnt take HRT I was put on the mini pill and Ovestin it worked wonderfuly well for 10 yrs
Im now just on Vagifem
If your on the mini pill it is still a contraceptive
I was on Microlut 1972 till 1980s as a Contraceptive I came to Ozz they didnt have it here till 90s

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 05:36:12 PM »

If you had had the coil for 5 years and it hadn't been renewed then it will have been past its date for use as a contraceptive and as the progestogen part of HRT - but in that case it should have been removed. If it has been replaced then you most definitely don't need both the mini pill and the coil as this is far too much progestogen, will over-thin your womb lining and will do nothing for your flushes and sweats.

If you got on well with the Mirena coil - despite being happily single I would ask for another one to be put in, and then ask for HRT ie oestrogen which you can take as tablet, patch or gel. It is not up to the doctor to decide whether or not you should have HRT if you have symptoms - (although you don't have a cycle to go by) - it is her duty to prescribe you HRT for menopausal symptoms if you wish it and are not medically contra-indicated:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contraindications.php

What des the doc say about the bleeding? Ideally you should have the coil removed and your womb lining investigated because you can't tell in your case ie if it is overthinned or just the mini pill doing a partial job in stopping the bleeding. Do go back to your GP and ask for this and then take it from there re HRT - ie whether you have a replacement coil and oestrogen.

These are all the oestrogen only types that can be taken with a Mirena coil as progestogen:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php

Personally I would go for transdermal oestrogen ( patch or gel) but this is a personal preference and at your age it;s find to start with tablet hRT.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x