Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Worried Daughter from November Update  (Read 7684 times)

countrybumpkin

Re: Worried Daughter from November Update
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 09:04:13 PM »

Has she definitely had the thyroid tested as she is exibiting all the symptoms of a thyroid condition.  The modern TSH and T4 tests give a good indication of thyroid function although in case of underactive they can be misread but if she is overactive then this will def show up in  a test.  If she hasn't had it checked in last 6 months then her GP can do it on nhs.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 09:56:52 PM »

So, pretty much 300mg? That's an enormous amount. Even Prof Studd never speaks in terms of more than 200mg daily at the very most. Do you think she may have perhaps misunderstood her consultant about dosage?

Maria_stoff

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 05:08:59 PM »

Hi Gypsy Rose Lee and country bumpkin,

She went to a private gp a couple of days ago and he has taken tests to check her thyroid so we are waiting for results which we should get within the next few days. I actually went with my mum to the private gynae and she couldn't stress enough that people would be telling us it was too much oestrogen. She made my mum promise to trust her and that as its micrograms its not dangerous. She said that, if anything, she'd need more to help her through symptoms! She was very helpful with everything and everything she said made a lot of sense. She explained that the contraceptive pill has a much much higher dose of oestrogen in them and so the patches were basically nothing compared to them. It's all so confusing  ???

Maria X

Hurdity

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 05:39:20 PM »

Hi Maria - sorry I didn't see this thread and asked Qs on your other thread and suggested HRT over ADs.

That really is a huge amount of oestrogen especially post-menopausally!  Also if she is on that dose of oestrogen only for 3 months. She will have a massive bleed when she eventually takes progesterone I would have thought.  Is she post-menopausal? Has she had her oestrogen levels tested? You can overdose on oestrogen in the sense that if you get levels that are higher than occur physiologically you can get something called tachyphyllaxis (sp?) which means it stops having an effect. It's irrelevant what amount of oestrogen is in the contraceptive pill - that is for younger women who are also on a high dose of progestogen.

She should absolutely not need that amount of oestrogen. If 100 mcg patch does not suit her (and she still has her ovaries) then something else needs looking into I would have thought. There is no way I would take this much. HRT is designed to average the amount of oestrogen across the menstrual cycle not replicate the levels which occur just before ovulation. I know Prof Studd recommends very high doses for reproductive depression but this is for women who are still having a cycle as I understand.

No wonder you are confused.

Great that she is having her thyroid tested but I would defo cut down on the oestrogen before she gets dependent on it and will then react to any decrease with more flushes etc...

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2016, 07:31:58 PM »

:-\ doesn't the body rid itself of excess oestrogen anyway? 

Hurdity

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2016, 07:35:02 PM »

There is a continuous metabolic turnover - the serum concentrations reach what is known as a "steady state" where they are roughly stable ( ie only fluctuate a comparatively small amount)  so if you are using a high dose of gel and have a high dose patch on then it is coninuously being replenished to maintain that particular dose.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 07:41:32 PM »

……. which the body can become 'addicted' to  :-\ …… I obviously didn't listen in biology  ::) ……. I had very heavy painful periods, but it was taken as 'normal' in those days  ::) sorry meandering …..

Maria_stoff

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 09:38:56 PM »

Hi Hurdity,

My mum is currently peri-menopause, not post menopause. The private GP I took her to the other day called yesterday and said her bloods were absolutely perfect and so I'm thinking this is definitely more mental than it is physical. She asked him whether she would have a big bleed when she eventually had progesterone because she was worried about that too but he said not necessarily. I've told mum to come off the oestrogel as I too think it's too high a dosage. She seems okay at the minute, but whether that's the AD's kicking in or whether it's because she's not on as much oestrogen I'm not too sure. Thanks for you advice !

Maria x

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 09:53:07 PM »

Let us know how you get on.  Ask her GP what she can take should she suffer a heavy, prolonged bleed?

warwick01

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 02:34:35 PM »

Hi

Just picked up this thread!

I agree the amount of Oestrogen is far too high. I am 57 and found with 4 pumps of Oestrogel I became agitated nervous ect. I am still in the process of trying to find an HRT to control my symptoms accordingly.

However I kept upping my Oestogen thinking I needed more........mmm NOT THE CASE the more you have in my experience causes panic attacks, anxiety, that hypo feeling.

I agree just stay on the patch or the gel and see how things go. By the way I found with the patch It would cause a return of symptoms after 2.5 days.

Wx

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2016, 03:18:23 PM »

:thankyou:
Pages: 1 [2]