Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Frequency of flushes  (Read 2104 times)

coldethyl

Frequency of flushes
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:56:43 AM »

Yet another daft how long is a piece of string question, but just wondering how often you get hot flushes ? In the last month mine have really upped and seem to come and not go during the day now - I gave a really bad session when I first get up then again late afternoon and early evening when it just seems that one stops and a fresh one starts. I'm not especially sweaty with the day ones but my back and chest feel like someone is caramelising me with a blow torch.

Dancinggirl

Re: Frequency of flushes
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 12:28:33 PM »

We all get effected by this lack of oestrogen in different ways.  Some experience quite sudden hot flushes that creep along the body and subside after a few minutes.  Some, like me, simply find they can't control their body thermostat - so I react to changes of temperature e.g. going into a hot room and often remain hot and sweaty for some time. The intensity/severity of hot flushes can gradually worsen or lessen as the oestrogen levels drop after the last period, bottoming out around 2 years into post meno but the amount of time it takes for the body to adjust and settle and the flushes reduce can take months or years - sadly for some they never really go.
Recent studies have shown that symptoms last for between 2-7 years but there are so many other factors to be taken into account this must be difficult to gage.  Excess weight, poor diet, smoking and drinking alcohol can have an effect - though many of us are simply unlucky and suffer despite doing the all the right things.  Life isn't fair and I'm sure our genes have a good deal to do with all this.  DG x

coldethyl

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:00:55 PM »

I'm just fed up with it all now - the anxiety has eased but now I just feel like I've been run over by a truck. My fibromyalgia has flared up after years of just being background noise , I've got permanent  head stuffiness even though I don't have a sinus infection, period cramp with no period in sight and now these endless flushes. Last time I felt this rubbish was post natally. I've put my name down to come back as a man.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 02:47:23 PM »

Sorry to hear you are feeling rough coldethyl.

Have you ever tried HRT? Fibromyalgia syndrome can be brought on by hormonal disturbances including oestrogen deficiency, thyroid problems and low testosterone and a hormone solution might work for you?

My flushes were pretty frequent and I could almost bring them on by thinking about something eg if I felt worried or a bit embarrassed - especially at work - and I went completely bright red including my neck - quite horrible. Well I couldn't put up with that (as well as the lack of sleep) so went onto HRT and haven't had any experiences like that since.

If you are medically unable to take HRT then I would ask at least for blood tests and if necessary get referred to an enocrinologist so that other reason for some of your symptoms can be looked at in addition to menopause.

Despite all of these negative things we have to put up with - I am still pleased that I came here as a woman :)

Hurdity x

coldethyl

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 02:57:03 PM »

Sorry to hear you are feeling rough coldethyl.

Have you ever tried HRT? Fibromyalgia syndrome can be brought on by hormonal disturbances including oestrogen deficiency, thyroid problems and low testosterone and a hormone solution might work for you?

My flushes were pretty frequent and I could almost bring them on by thinking about something eg if I felt worried or a bit embarrassed - especially at work - and I went completely bright red including my neck - quite horrible. Well I couldn't put up with that (as well as the lack of sleep) so went onto HRT and haven't had any experiences like that since.

If you are medically unable to take HRT then I would ask at least for blood tests and if necessary get referred to an enocrinologist so that other reason for some of your symptoms can be looked at in addition to menopause.

Despite all of these negative things we have to put up with - I am still pleased that I came here as a woman :)

Hurdity x

I don't think HRT will be an option as I have migraine with aura and endometriosis and family history of oestrogen dependent cancer. I've had lots of blood tests as I'm diabetic so liver , kidney and thyroid function constantly checked. I just want to feel well rather than there be a constant niggle of something or other. I'm going to a mindfulness class and that is helping a bit as I think anything that lowers my stress levels has to be a good thing. X