Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Night time anxiety  (Read 11814 times)

coldethyl

Re: Night time anxiety
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2016, 09:46:30 AM »

this problem just has to be a physiological thing, surely, as there are so many of us with the same problem  ::)

I was awake three times last night with it. For me it's definitely linked with the night sweats as I either wake up drenched or wake up and the adrenaline whooshes through me followed by the intense burning. I've found that not reacting to it all is the best way to lessen it though some nights I take an extra half a betablocker. I make sure I drink plenty during night too even if it means and extra toilet trip, I still wake up on edge and it can take till mid morning before I feel it's over. I just wish our health care providers looked at this from a menopausal physiological changes side a bit more before doling out anti depressants.

babyjane

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2016, 09:49:13 AM »

For me I do need the ADs because I have issues going back decades which need to be resolved and they are helping me cope with the psychotherapy.  However for those ladies who are perimenopausal and suffering like this I agree with you coldethyl.   I am post meno and my meno symptoms have started to lessen now.

westie

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »

Thank you so much everyone for all your responses.

I have tried a banana last couple of nights and last night it seemed to help, only woke up once and not so panicky. Early days though. A friend has recommended Teanine and lemon balm capsules which I've just ordered- you take a couple before bed so I'll give them a try and see how I go. Will report back.

Thanks again, without this forum I would be completely bonkers!!!

W xx

Katejo

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2016, 09:13:32 PM »

For me I do need the ADs because I have issues going back decades which need to be resolved and they are helping me cope with the psychotherapy.  However for those ladies who are perimenopausal and suffering like this I agree with you coldethyl.   I am post meno and my meno symptoms have started to lessen now.

How long have you been post meno? When did the symptoms start to lessen? Almost 2 years for me but I still have symptoms.
Re. night time anxiety: I do get this sometimes but don't particularly link it to menopause. I just know that problems do seem worse in the middle of the night so I try to tell myself that i will feel more positive in the morning.

Meg

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 03:49:47 AM »

Like so many ladies, I have had terrible issues with the anxiety.  Waking anxiety and generally feeling panicky and so much more worried about matters with which I would, previous to menopause, have been able to cope.  It is no wonder that this is called The Change, it has changed me into a nervous wreck!  I fervently wish that there was more medical knowledge and understanding from the health profession.  This is all due to those chemical messengers, hormones.  We should be trying to unlock more of the secrets about adreneline and cortisol output because it sure plays havoc with women's lives and we are on average only 50 when all of this begins and ends, who knows?

Meg

babyjane

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 10:09:21 AM »

How long have you been post meno? When did the symptoms start to lessen? Almost 2 years for me but I still have symptoms.

Not sure as I had a hysterectomy (retained ovaries) when I was 38 so had no periods, therefore not really sure exactly when I went into perimeno, proabably not that long after the hyster but didn't realise it as I had no point of reference.  Anyway my first hot flush/night sweat was 6 years ago when I was 52 and, although I could cope, they were there day and night.  Last year I realised they were not there in the day and not every night and when they did arrive they were milder. This winter I have been able to tolerate the central heating and a normal weight duvet (much to my husband's relief) plus he commented that I don't open the window so much.  I have even worn acrylic jumpers that I could not even consider last winter - cotton only.  I am having trouble with anxiety but that is only partly hormonal as I have severe deep rooted issues to resolve.  At a guess I would suspect I am about 18 months post meno at 58 but with an absence of periods it is difficult to be sure.

Smokey

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 11:00:05 AM »

My heart goes out to all of you suffering at the moment, I remember the doom and gloom feelings of dred, thankfully I Ve not had them since I started the Hrt 5 years ago and dread having to come off it at a later date although hopefully I won't have to for many years yet as I'm not quite 50 yet it's the not knowing if what we're feeling is normal that is scary I think we'll it was and  sometimes still is Hrt doesn't get rid of everything we feel, but I certainly remember before it not wanting to go out of the house on my own as I was so scared, but I wasn't actually sure what of!

I now get the waking up at 3am bit still but without the aniexty and its only for a week when I have my period, but I have found that taking a sleeping aid that was reccomeded to my on here called Valerie something  helps they are cheap and you can get them from Boots or pharmacys they also help the aniexty you take one 1/2 before bed and can take two if needed, they seem to help me drift off quickly and if you wake in the night I can fall back to sleep immediately rather than start the thinking which goes on and on. The are a hormone based tablet maybe these may help some of you.  I think what we all need is coffee mornings for menopausal women, so it's discussed and we could support each other like on this forum. After all there are Mother and baby groups why not menopausal!

I don't know what part of the menopause I'm in at the moment as I've not come off the Hrt long enough to find out, Do you still get a bleed if your post memo on Hrt? What I mean is does the progesterone in it cause a bleed which is not really your own? Does that make sense?
I still have so many questions about it all and it confuses it all with having ms too.

Ann x

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 11:43:11 AM »

Hi Smokey

I haven't read the whole of the thread but in answer to your Q about hRT and post-meno.

If you are post-meno and go onto continuous combined HRT - this is designed so you don't get a bleed, although many women experience some spotting or bleeding for anything up to the first six months - but especially if they haven't been on any formn of HRT and the lining builds up a bit and comes away sporadically.

If you choose to remain on a cycle as many of us do in post-menopause - because we don't want to have continuous progestogens, then most women do get a withdrawal bleed every 4 weeks ( a few don't) - but this is due to the oestrogen in the HRT not their own oestrogen.

Once you are post-menopausal then your ovaries do not produce oestrogen on a cyclical basis and you do not ovulate so any bleed is artificial - due to the added oestrogen.

I agree it would be a great idea if GP practices or Trusts had a menopause support group - but sadly I imagine it is due to funding that these don't happen as they would need to be facilitated by someone, and also it tends still to be more of a taboo subject. It's a pity there isn't a voluntary organisation/charity dedicated to Menopause Support which could be run voluntarily - maybe someone should start one in their area and then it might spread wider!!

Hurdity x

Clovie

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 08:39:36 AM »

Clovie, yes, there's a lot of us who are experiencing these night terrors, absolutely awful and can't get back to sleep properly.  Keep posting, as you are obviously having a really awful time and the ladies on here are wonderful and it's such a release to get it all out. X

thank you so much Justjules  :thankyou: - the replies I've had from the lovely ladies on here have helped me sooooo much, I'm so grateful. Really.  :thankyou:

Joesmum

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2016, 10:33:17 PM »

I'm so sorry your suffering this but at the same time relieved too because I am going through the same thing.
I've implants for the last 6 years but recently I let them run low and since then have had the most horrific night time adrenaline surges. They're teryfying. I just sit, curled up on my bed and cry. Nothing helps them. I've tried deep breathing and consciously trying to calm myself down but it doesn't help. They last for a couple of hours.
Other times I sleep through the night and it starts as soon as I get out of bed.
It's no coincidence that they kicked in when my implant ran low.
I'm now on EVOREL patches and hoping to increase to a higher dose soon because I'm only on 25mcgs at the moment.
I sympathise hugely and send you hugs.

Smokey

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »

Hi

After commenting about not getting anxiety during the night since starting Hrt find that now I am, I wake up during the night and can feel these anxiety feelings starting to surge through me even before I open my eyes, I haven't had the dread and doom feelings back yet as they are terrifying !

I'm off to docs tomorrow for chat about upping Hrt I'm on everol sequil patches at the moment 75mg total ( 50 oestrogen /progesterone  plus a 25mg oestrogen patch)

Ann x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 02:30:09 PM »

Could it be cortisol ? levels fluctuating?

Smokey

« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2016, 01:08:38 PM »

Hi CLKD

I really don't know anymore !
Pages: 1 [2]