Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: hormones  (Read 1890 times)

hewitt13

hormones
« on: January 20, 2016, 04:15:04 PM »

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between Norethisterone and the progesterone in the Mirena coil?
Thanks,
Kim x

Lizab

Re: hormones
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 04:54:45 PM »

They're both synthetic progestins. Here is a link with info on those and other progestins.
http://contraception.about.com/od/thepill/tp/ProgestinTypes.htm

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 05:07:19 PM »

I can't give you a scientific answer but having used both, I might be able to help.

They are both synthetic progestins/progestogens but quite different.  Norethisterone is a very strong progestin and is used on its own and in some combined oral HRT preparations.  It certainly does its stuff but it is very strong and many women, like myself, are severely intolerant to it to such an extent, they cannot use it at all.

Levonorgestrel, the progestin in the Mirena coil, is far more easy to tolerate for most women and many get on very well with it.  The benefit is that when used in the coil, most of it stays in the womb but not all of it so again, those who are severely intolerant to all forms of synthetic progestins like me, cannot use it.  I believe levonorgestrel is also used in some oral HRT preparations. 

I wish someone could invent a Mirena type coil that never travels beyond the confines of the womb then women like me could use it!

hewitt13

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 05:11:24 PM »

Many thanks for your replies. I was wondering if the longer you are on Norethisterone does it make anxiety worse. Suffered with it for years but on meds so mostly under control but been on Norethisterone for a few months now and anxiety seems to be getting worse.
Thanks,
Kim x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 06:18:58 PM »

Hi hewitt13

Just to add also that both norethisterone and levonorgestrel are the most androgenic type of progestin used in HRT ie testosterone derived - so can have these type of side effects such as hair loss on head, more hairiness in the wrong place, acne etc.

Progestogens which can be used cyclically are of 3 main types:

Testosterone derived - Norgestrel, Norethisterone acetate and Levonorgestrel.
    Less testosterone related - Medroxyprogesterone acetate(MPA).
    Least testosterone related - Dydrogesterone and Micronised progesterone (Utrogestan).

Side effects are often experienced during the progestogen phase of treatment and can be reduced by using a product containing a different type or route of progestogen.

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php

Also as you say - it is quite possible that norethisterone can cause anxiety - many women do report such side effects, and "depression and nervousness" are listed as side effects. Some women report anxiety while using Evorel conti in post-menopause and this is most likely due to continuous long term norethisterone ie progestogenic side effects. This is the main reason why I would use neither synthetic progestogens nor continuous progestogens - as well as hopefully to minimise any adverse health effects.

I use oestrogen patches with natural progesterone used vaginally on a cycle - and this is the most natural way to have HRT and the most natural type ( - ie biologically identical to our own hormones).

What HRT are you using and what others have you tried?

Hurdity x

hewitt13

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 06:53:26 PM »

Hi Hurdity,
Thanks for getting back to me. Im taking norethisterone for abnormal bleeding for the past couple of months. Had a coil put in last week on advice of gynae as Im 58 and still not had menopause. He told me to stay on the norethisterone as well for another 6 weeks so I dont dislodge the coil with heavy bleeding.
Thanks,
Kim x