Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Hives  (Read 10420 times)

coldethyl

Hives
« on: January 13, 2016, 11:30:02 AM »

Not sure whether this a menopausal thing or not, but since last year, I seem to have developed burning skin with these red patches that come and go very quickly. My GP says urticaria and wants me to try and work out what is triggering it but the only things so far appear to be getting warm , going from warm to cool areas, anxiety and exercise. Obviously as I am having hot flushes day and night and very stressed I can't get rid and they are painful , though not itchy thank god. I'm thinking it's a hormonal thing as I've had bloods done recently for liver and thyroid etc, so does anyone have any useful tips other than dosing up on Piriton , which is contraindicated with betablockers I am on.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Hives
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 03:04:22 PM »

Does Piriton help?  There are other anti-histamines on the market which can give relief, maybe speak with a Pharmacist?

losttheplot

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 08:07:28 PM »

I get very red itchy puffy skin in the cold. My legs and hands are worse, even with themal gloves my hands swell.
The really odd thing is the way my skin reacts in warm weather, I had hives the year before last after walking on the beach on a hot day because there was a slight cooling breeze coming off the sea.
My skin feels on fire, i try not to scratch & it usually goes after an hour or so.

BrightLight

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 10:50:19 PM »

Hi coldethyl - I am not sure I can help but I can tell you I had a very similar experience two years ago.  All of a sudden my skin was so sensitive, I mean it looked and felt like I had a reaction to face products.  It was burning and it completely changed from normal balanced skin to greasy, spots, dryness but it was the burning and redness that was so odd.  I went to the doctor several times and each one said different things. First it was a reaction to products, dermatitis, then I was told my red raw lips were angioedema and finally when red spots appeared on my stomach, I was told it was hives.  Advised that it wasn't worth looking into what causes it as mostly it has no cause and it might go on for years!!! 

I was given a leaflet, but the leaflet said they itch, mine didn't itch. They came and went quickly, but weren't always small areas, sometimes my entire nose, cheek and chin area would be red and burning. Then areas on my temples.  The only thing that helped was going outside in the cold, switching to really plain face products and basically trying to stay calm.  After I realised it wasn't a major allergic reaction (which took a while to accept) - it became easier to deal with.

After about 6 months, everything calmed down. I do think it was hormonal related in my case, I really do.  Swings of hormones could rationally change skin sensitivity in my opinion.  So I guess working on balancing your hormones would maybe help, the doctor did mention antihistamines as well, but I never took them.  Cool air and a spritzer on the skin.  I do feel for you, it's not a nice feeling.

coldethyl

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 11:17:49 PM »

Hi coldethyl - I am not sure I can help but I can tell you I had a very similar experience two years ago.  All of a sudden my skin was so sensitive, I mean it looked and felt like I had a reaction to face products.  It was burning and it completely changed from normal balanced skin to greasy, spots, dryness but it was the burning and redness that was so odd.  I went to the doctor several times and each one said different things. First it was a reaction to products, dermatitis, then I was told my red raw lips were angioedema and finally when red spots appeared on my stomach, I was told it was hives.  Advised that it wasn't worth looking into what causes it as mostly it has no cause and it might go on for years!!! 

I was given a leaflet, but the leaflet said they itch, mine didn't itch. They came and went quickly, but weren't always small areas, sometimes my entire nose, cheek and chin area would be red and burning. Then areas on my temples.  The only thing that helped was going outside in the cold, switching to really plain face products and basically trying to stay calm.  After I realised it wasn't a major allergic reaction (which took a while to accept) - it became easier to deal with.

After about 6 months, everything calmed down. I do think it was hormonal related in my case, I really do.  Swings of hormones could rationally change skin sensitivity in my opinion.  So I guess working on balancing your hormones would maybe help, the doctor did mention antihistamines as well, but I never took them.  Cool air and a spritzer on the skin.  I do feel for you, it's not a nice feeling.

No mine don't itch either. They just burn and hurt and of course the hormonal flushes create the perfect conditions for them. My mum says she had something similar so guessing it must be hormonal. Just fed up with them now as it's as soon as I get warm in bed. A spritzer sounds good. Preferably one with vodka ;-)

Taz2

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 07:52:02 AM »

I would say to keep a food diary (this is what I did) to uncover what you  might be allergic to. My doc eventually referred me to an allergy clinic which was helpful and it did get better when I stopped the foods (mainly fruit) I had developed an allergy to. When I am on HRT I can eat the banned foods without them giving me a rash so a hormonal link must be there somewhere!

You can read about Urticaria here if you haven't already found the info http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Nettle-rash/Pages/Introduction.aspx  It can take quite a while to work out what's causing it but it is worth it.

Taz x

coldethyl

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 12:17:18 PM »

Popped to GP today as it was so painful in bed last night.Got some antihistamines as she couldn't  find any contraindications with my other meds so will try that tonight. Thinks it's combination of heat and cold and stress.
I tried eliminating food , changing washing stuff, using unscented bath stuff etc and none of that helped so guessing it is something like heat.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »

I had a very long itch on my thigh last night and immediately wondered how you were!  Glad that you had a good visit with your GP!

coldethyl

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 10:53:13 AM »

I have what they call "chronic urticaria" - that is, its prone to flaring up for all kinds of reasons, but hormones are definitely a big factor for me. It was absolutely dreadful in perimenopause, great giant hives all over me and extremely itchy. Oestrogen replacement keeps it under control most of the time but I'm still vulnerable to flare ups during the hayfever season. If they itch the remedy is antihistamine tablets  (Cetirizine is the one the immunologist I saw recommends - he said Loratadine is "hopeless for skin conditionsl") - and don't be afraid to go above the usually prescribed one a day - I've been told to take up to 4 per day when things are bad.

That sounds exactly what I have .. Huge giant hives on my knees and shoulders and feet. They don't really itch much just burn and make me feel quite fluey almost. Got some certrizine yesterday off GP so will take one tonight when if it starts up at bedtime. Between the skin thing, aching twitchy legs and hot flushes it's like a how rubbish can I feel today lucky dip!!