Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: patch back to pill  (Read 2011 times)

Anjia

patch back to pill
« on: January 17, 2016, 11:33:58 AM »

Has anyone like me gone back and for from pill to patch I am gutted really because I wanted the patch to work as its meant to be safer. It seems for me that being on the patch since last July I cant be absorbing it I have the flushes back keeping me awake all night! I would love to here from anyone who has had this problem looks as though the tablet again for me.

Briony

Re: patch back to pill
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 01:34:47 PM »

That's really interesting as I too think I absorb a pill better than  a patch. Like you, this annoys me as the patches are generally seen to be safer. I'd rather do nil-by-mouth if I could.

When I started both hrt and contraceptive pills, I could tell it was 'in me' (so to speak) very quickly from the side effects - which eventually went. With a patch (100mcg) I had no reaction at all for weeks. It was 5 weeks before I felt like I was taking additional estrogen (slightly nauseous and then jittery). I wonder if we'd be better off with the gel?

I also feel I may still be ovulating with 100mcg, despite the experts saying 100-200mcg patches should suppress ovulation. Think I have v awkward hormones!

« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 01:36:33 PM by Briony »

Mary G

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 04:05:05 PM »

Anjia, why don't you try the oestrogen gel?  The patches didn't work very well for me either and nor did the tablets.  I have found that not only does the gel work better, it is more flexible and you can adjust the dose.  As you say, bio identical, transdermal HRT is also safe - all the risk is connected to the synthetic progestin component of HRT.

Dana

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 11:07:56 PM »

I've been backwards and forwards on patches and tablets and I keeping coming to the conclusion that patches aren't as good for me. I hear so often on MM that patches work really well, but I think that should always be tempered with a "for some women" addendum. I've been doing some reading about this and some women simply don't do as well on patches. Maybe it is the "preferred" method, but surely it has to come down to using what actually works.

Currently I've given up on patches, but I'll give them another try maybe in 6 months or so, because frankly I need a break from dealing with the side effects of them not working for a while. If they fail to work properly that time I will give up on them totally. However, even if they do work I will tread with caution, because I've learned in the past that even if they work for a while, eventually they may not.

Anjia

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:48:49 PM »

Well Mary I have thought about the gel but I dont think I would be very good at adjusting the dose in fact I think I would be rubbish at it! Its a bloody nightmare I wish I dident need it at all .

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 05:05:48 PM »

Patches have always worked for me - but then I've only ever used a medium dose (50 mcg) from the start ( late peri-menopause) - and I know my oestrogen levels are not as high as some women's have been with gel. I'm wishing I had known about gel way back then really as I may have had higher levels and been super lively instead of just OK most of the time! I could have changed to a higher dose patch but since the ones I had worked there was no incentive to if you see what I mean because my symptoms had gone! I am sure they can work - but just that some women may need higher doses - there is such a huge variation in absorption between women - and with gel too.

Hurdity x