Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Can I wear more than 1 patch?  (Read 11869 times)

Greenwithenvy

Can I wear more than 1 patch?
« on: January 15, 2016, 06:17:17 PM »

Hi everyone

Hope someone can advise.
I've posted in the newbies section earlier in the week so apologies if I'm repeating myself.
I'm 45 post menopause on evorel conti 50 which has helped significantly to reduce my menopause symptoms. Since I seem to be tolerating the conti patches well I'm reluctant to swap and try anything else but I would really like to increase my oestrogen rather than swapping to an oestrogen only (maybe 75) with separate progesterone can I cut my patches in half and therefore get more of both?

Thanks in advance

Trufflecat

Re: Can I wear more than 1 patch?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 06:43:49 PM »

I know people do cut them up. The Evorel comes in 25 too though so you could add in one of those

Greenwithenvy

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 07:11:58 PM »

Thanks truffle cat
As I'm on continuos combined I was worried about increasing oestrogen without increasing progesterone?
Not sure if there's enough progesterone in the 50 patch to counteract the extra oestrogen
Maybe it's a question for gp?

Trufflecat

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 08:24:53 PM »

Oh I see. Yes I think it's a GP question

limpy

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 09:28:15 PM »

Given that the patch contains both oestrogen and progesterone I would assume that the evorel conti patch could be cut up, to add to a whole patch, to increase the dose of both hormones. But best check with your GP. 

Sunnydays

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 10:36:27 PM »

Yes the patches can be cut and as they are quite large patches it's easy to cut them. The Evorel conti only comes in a 50 I think so it would be a matter of cutting another one in half. I had tried to experiment by adding an oestrogen only patch to a conti and the ladies in here suggested caution when trying my own mix! Always best to check with an hrt knowledgable GP. Any reason why you want to increase?

Greenwithenvy

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 05:28:11 PM »

Hi and thanks for the help

Sunnydays the reason I wanted to increase was because I'm post meno and only 45(feeling 85) and without early menopause my "normal" or natural oestrogen levels would be much higher at this age than I'm getting on a 50 patch. I also have a bad family history with osteoporosis and so wanted the possible added protection. I'm going for a bone scan next few weeks as a check so will talk with gp about either a supplement if I need one or increasing the HRT.
I've been on the conti patches since October and feel like I'm tolerating them well so would be reluctant to have to change to tablets or something else. My symptoms are so much better and although I still get a few flushes etc I'm much better than I was before.

Thanks everyone x