Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Mirena Side Effects  (Read 2843 times)

elsie001

Mirena Side Effects
« on: January 15, 2016, 10:58:34 AM »

I had the coil fitted at end of September last year to help with heavy & prolonged periods (am 49). 

Since then I've had daily bleeding/spotting and now have further symptoms to add - sore boobs, flat mood low libido & a bit itchy down below!

I've made an appointment to see my GP but would be interested to hear your opinions too.  Would these symptoms be low oestrogen or would the coil not be providing enough progesterone?

The other day (following a couple of days of pmt) I had period-like cramps followed by heavier blood flow, but surely I can't have ovulated?

So confused by it all ::)

GypsyRoseLee

Re: Mirena Side Effects
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 12:03:25 PM »

Hi

I had the Mirena fitted 8 years ago. Big mistake. It gave me constant low level, daily PMS. And in the week prior to my period it made me evil and irrational. It made me gain a stone in weight and killed my libido. I also had constant brown spotting.

After 9 months of this nightmare (I'd actually had it put in to help with my PMS) I begged my GP to remove. Be was very reluctant to do it and was cross with me.

Within 48 hours of having it removed my constant PMS disappeared and I lost the extra weight. GPs might insist that the progesterone in the Mirena is too low to cause any side effects. I beg to differ.

My consultant at the Meno Clinic admitted that the Mirena was known to cause adverse reactions in mood to some women who were intolerant of progesterone.

elsie001

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 12:09:34 PM »

Thanks GRL.

Glad to know it's not just me!

Tinkerbell

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 12:59:03 PM »

This worries me as I am on planning to get one fitted so I countinue with my Estradot patch.
I tried utrogestan but was sensitive to the progesterone in that, the side effects made me give up after 6 days!

Mary G

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 01:24:19 PM »

elsie001, I had those symptoms with the Mirena coil once my oestrogen levels become low.  I very much doubt you need more progesterone, you probably need to start topping up your oestrogen levels with some Oestrogel if you can get your doctor to prescribe it.

The only symptom that may not go away with increased oestrogen is the breast pain, this can be a problem with Mirena coils.  However, if you up your oestrogen levels, you may well find that improves too.  Why not give the gel a try and then see if things improve.

elsie001

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 06:26:36 PM »

Thanks Mary,  I'll suggest that to my GP.  She did say when she fitted it that I might need added oestrogen so hopefully my request should be straightforward enough!

I hope to persevere with the coil as I definitely haven't missed the flooding and funnily enough, the waistline of my clothes feels more comfortable since having it fitted as I'm not getting the horrible weight-gain that I used to get when periods were due.