Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Cortisol testing  (Read 2855 times)

Jaz

Cortisol testing
« on: May 25, 2016, 10:31:53 PM »

Hi Ladies
I have been reading The Hormone cure by Sara Gottfried. I...like many other ladies on here feel much worse when I wake up in the morning. With palpations and feelings of dread. I was wondering if anyone has had their cortisol levels tested through out the day, usually via saliva samples.
I understand cortisol levels can be low in the morning and fluctuate throughout the day.
I have recently changed from HRT tablets to Evorel patches and had to increase size to 75 patch. I was on Elleste solo 3 mg after having a hysterectomy.
I would like to get both cortisol and my Estrogen levels tested to see how much my body is absorbing the patches.
Do GP,s do this?
Jaz

dazned

Re: Cortisol testing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 02:37:24 PM »

I have had my cortisol levels checked a few times via gp. Its usually a fasting blood test done as early as possible at hospital,i.e. when it opens as cortisol production is highest then hence why some of us have experienced that jittery,palpitations feelings on waking.

Mojo61

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 06:11:00 PM »

If cortisol is high can anything be done about it?

Milamam

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 06:15:36 PM »

From what I know, one serum cortisol test in the morning is not indicative of anything. It can be high if you are upset/scared/ etc . It is a stress hormone after all.
I am not quite sure but there are more complex tests that are done throughout the day, or even for 24 hrs. You should consult with an endocrinologist.
Milamam

Jaz

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 09:18:34 PM »

Endocrinologist, I will look into how to get in touch with them, maybe on Google.
Has anyone also had Estrogen Lelvels tested or know what the range of normal to high would be?
Jaz

dangermouse

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 08:18:47 AM »

High or low cortisol and norepinephrine (adrenaline) are, in most of our cases, a side effect of imbalanced oestrogen and progesterone. Measuring cortisol might not therefore be that helpful as you want to treat the cause. Of course if you have a direct problem with your adrenal glands (like Addisons) then that is different but I think it's rare.

If you get a referral to an endocrinologist instead of a gyno, then they can be more thorough with checking all hormones. However, if it's meno linked then the blood results are often too vague, as they fluctuate throughout the day, but the reference ranges are below.

FSH
Follicular 3.5-12.5
Ovulatory 4.7-21.5
Luteal 1.7-7.7
Post menopause 26.0-135.0

Oestradiol
Follicular 46-607
Ovulatory 315-1828
Luteal 161-774
Post menopause <200

Progesterone
Follicular 0.6-4.7
Luteal 5.3-86.0
Mid-luteal Peak >30.0
Post menopause 0.3-2.5

Chi chi

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 12:51:43 PM »

Hi, I had my cortisol tested via Geneva Diagnostics. It was 4 saliva samples throughout the day, my last 2 were high and out of range but my total daily cortisol was in range, just! 21-41 mine was 40.4
My sample 1 was 21.3 range was 12-22
My sample 2 was 5.3  range was 5-9
Sample 3 was 10 range was 3-7
Sample 4 was 3.8 range was 1-3

What was more concerning to me was my DHEA. Both my am and pm were low at 0.03 the range was 0.40-1.47.
My DHEA/Cortisol ratio was again low at 0.07 range was 2-6.
In the summary it said I was at Resistance Stage 3 - Maladaption "pre-exhaustion or pre-adrenal fatigue"
It also tested my Secretory IgA which was flagged as high at 740.0 range was 118-641

I still don't really know what all this meant but showed it to my GP who admitted neither did he and he referred me to an endocrinologist. At the appointment he didn't seem very bothered and did a few checks, no bloods or samples of anything just had to lay on the bed while he examined me. He said it was nothing serious (addisons or something I think)? But said I could have another test where they take blood throughout the day but I would need to be clear of all HRT, I had not long seen prof Studd and had started HRT so I didn't follow it up  :-\

Kind of wish I had now as HRT hasn't really helped  :-\

Jaz

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 01:05:32 PM »

Thanks for that sounds very comprehensive.
I guess what I was thinking if cortisol was high at certain times & (I know the saliva one is done at various intervals throughout the day) and or Estrogen levels were low. I would be looking at ways to bring down stress levels as part of the cause as I am certain it's linked to meno
I saw a programme called Dr in the house a while back where a lady gave saliva tests for cortisol reading which were high particularly at certain times of the day and she was suffering with meno symtoms

She managed stress in different ways and a further readings showed cortisol levels were greatly reduced
I'm not sure my GP would do all these tests but wondered if it was available Elsewhere  but could ask GP first if symtoms continue to get worse. I am trying to use destressing techniques