Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: New to the Forum  (Read 2505 times)

Lottie38

New to the Forum
« on: January 11, 2016, 02:29:12 PM »

Hi

I was advised by my GP to check out this website.

I'm almost 49 and had my Mirena coil removed in March 2015 at which point they said I was into the perimenopause, after having took some bloods.  Since then, I had fairly regular periods for about three months until July then they went to 3 weekly until 4th November and then stopped!  Surely that's not it?

I spoke to my GP this morning who advised that this was normal.  I've been suffering with irritability more than anything, not many hot flushes and some night sweats.  Some troubled sleep and hair loss.  I mentioned to the GP that maybe I'd been going through this now longer than we thought as I had no periods with the Mirena in.  She said this may well be the case. 

I'm still getting period pains and sore nipples but no bleeding.  Long may it continue!

Would welcome any thoughts.

dazned

Re: New to the Forum
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 02:39:44 PM »

Hi and  :welcomemm:

Nice to have you join us.

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:00:55 PM »

Hello & welcome! 

My GP says that a lot of women come off birth control at 50 and never restart periods - they've been through the menopause without realising it.  So maybe you have done a fair bit of your meno journey while you had the coil? 

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 05:17:47 PM »

Hi Lottie38

:welcomemm: from me too.

Have you thought of HRT? You could have another Mirena fitted and then add in some oestrogen in the form of patch or gel and that will help with the symptoms you have been getting.

Hurdity x

Lottie38

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 10:05:59 AM »

Hurdity, they did attempt to fit another Mirena but my cervix was having none of it.  They suggested I could go to the hospital to have it fitted with a local anaesthetic but I can't say I was happy at that suggestion!

Dorothy, I sincerely hope that's the case.

I'm going to go and get my bloods checked again, probably next week when I have more time, and see where I'm up to then.  I may try the coil again as I've been almost 12 months without it now so my cervix may be more responsive.

thanks for your welcomes and responses  :)