Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Advice please, changed HRT and feeling awful  (Read 11033 times)

Hurdity

Re: Advice please, changed HRT and feeling awful
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 05:25:44 PM »

Thank you both, Hurdity I am 54 and post meno & would prefer not to take tablets as I'm a migraine sufferer. I forgot to add in my original post that i have also been getting headaches every afternoon  :( though my migraine has improved since being on HRT overall.

Hurdity...If I was to go onto a separate oestrogen patch & Utrogestan how many days would I take it for to have a cycle?? Would it be 2 weeks the same as the other progesterones? And would Utrogestan taken as a tablet every day be ok with me suffering migraine?

Hi again Goosieloosie

You've had some great information from Mary G about her regime and Prof Studd's prescription for women who are highly progesterone intolerant.

My answer to your original question would be to start with taking the licensed dose of Utrogestan 200 mg orally for 12 days and see how you get on.

Like you I began to suffer with migraines when I was in the late reproductive stage - when I was getting really bad pms just before my period. I think in my case it was probably progesterone withdrawal - which is one reason for the pmt symptoms of headache, tension, irritability because they stopped as my periods stopped and were replaced by flushes and sweats. When I started HRT I continued to get them after the withdrawal most cycles, for a few years. Also sometimes during the progesterone phase.

It doesn't necessarily follow that because you might not tolerate synthetic progestogens, the same will be true for progesterone. Many women are quite happy on this - OK with some mild sedating side effects or head fog - but tolerable. I agree that the licensed dose is designed so that the incidence of endometrial hyperplasia in minimised but better to start with this and cut back if it's doing its job but you find the dose too high. The 7 days a month regime is the absolute minimum for highly progesterone intolerant women and will lead to endometrial hyperplasia in some women - and this will depend to some extent on the oestrogen dose. Prof Studd's own research from the 1990's demonstrates this - I think 12 days a month pretty well elimninated any thickening in the studies he carried out ( this is from memory - I would have to look up the papers again), but the percentage of women with hyperplasia increased as the number of days was reduced.

As has been said this could be monitored by means of a regular scan ideally annually. Originally Studd said on his website that when women used progesterone for 7 days, the threshold for endometrial sampling would need to be lowered - in other words any signs perhaps of spotting etc, a biopsy or scan should be carried out.

If you are using this regime on NHS then I would not use 7 days per month unless you are prepared to pay for an annual scan - or unless your oestrogen dose is very low. Even so I would still feel women should be scanned.

Interestingly where Utrogestan is licensed for vaginal use for HRT - such as in France - the same dose is given as for oral use, although the research papers have demosntrated as Mary G says that maybe 50% of the oral dose can be used vaginally to give the same effect. As far as I understand though - it is a combination of dose and duration of progestogen that is needed, so for example giving a very high dose of progestogen vaginally for says 5 days wouldn't do the same job ( because much would be lost).

I'm not saying don't do the 7 day course - but this is just omne option, but I wouldn't start with this unless you are on a v low oestrogen  dose - and in any case you may be quite happy on it, or even not need it at all if the Femseven agrees with you :)

Just to say also I use 50 mcg Estradot patch and Utrogestan 12-13 days per 2 months vaginally and I am post-menopausal - this suits me fine. I am on the prog at the moment and feel a bit tired but not too bad.

Sorry if this is a bit long-winded but hope it's helpful!

Hurdity x

Goosieloosie

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 06:20:33 PM »

Thank you Mary & Hurdity, That's alot to digest & I'm actually away this weekend (taking son back to uni after the holidays!) so I shall read and absorb it properly once I get home tomorrow! I don't feel too bad today but that could be because I've not had a stressful day just sitting in the car! I have noticed however that every afternoon I develop a headache in the back of my head, it wasn't too bad today but nevertheless it was still there  & not the type of headache that I normally get.  It just feels 'different'. I am still bleeding aswell  :'(. Thank you both so much once again for your help.

Hurdity

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 07:42:05 PM »

Snap with son going back to uni - I took my youngest back to the train ( town 15 miles away) to go back today too - but he is over 260 miles away - we agreed we would do the run just once a year with all his clobber. At Christmas and Easter they come on the train (with big suitcase and bag). This was the same for all four of them - they all went quite a long way away! Two went to the one above, daughter was 230 miles away, and the closest was 150 miles but he took his car as it wasn't a big city uni. Hmm wonder why they went so far away! Probably because we live in the rural southwest and 3 went to big northern cities and one to midlands!

Anyway I digress - hope your trip was good, but sorry to hear about the headache - I wake with that sort of headache every morning after the utrogestan but it does usually clear, although sometimes becomes a foggy head. Fortunately not like a migraine which lasts for 3 days.

Hope you're not too tired for driving back - I used to find those long drives pretty tiring - especially the long busy motorways which I'm not used to!

Let us know how you feel when you get back.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 07:47:34 PM »

:bighug:  I know that 'truly awful feeling' for different reasons.  Try not to think more than 1 hour ahead …..

Headaches can be due to dehydration ………….. or are you sleeping heavily?

It's years since DH went to Uni that first morning  :'( ……… but I do remember it - me and his Mum took him to the train, 11 miles from home; then he had an 8/9 hour train journey with a suitcase, bag and a trunk which went in the Guard's van.  No taking students to Uni in those days! most families had 1 car and there wasn't the money nor time to tranposrt them.  If they wanted to go to Uni they had to get themselves there and back.  He didn't have any Lodgings to go to either ……. crikey!

Goosieloosie

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 09:19:56 PM »

Hello all I'm back! Well I'm not sure how I'm feeling to be honest. if that makes any sense  :-\. I have never felt as good as I did the first 2 weeks when i went onto HRT back in October. I thought i was feeling ok today but no...I'm feeling really irritated again & my mood is kind of 'meh' but I don't know if this is anything to do with the constant bleeding I have, for 3 months I have pretty much been bleeding with only the occasional week bleed free here & there. The sickly feeling seems to have gone now though, which is great & headaches not too bad,just a bit of pressure in the back of my head late afternoon but not bad enough to take paracetamol. So...I'm just fed up and don't know what to do next...do I hang fire with the Femseven conti for a couple more weeks? Will the Dr listen to me now if I go to her this week and ask to try an oestrogen patch along with Utrogestan after only being on Femseven for a week? I feel i have to go to her with a plan as she doesn't seem very knowledgeable about the different HRT's available. I wish I didn't have to think about all of this, it's really getting to me now  :'(

Worrywart

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 11:21:10 PM »

Hi Goosie

Isn't 3 months pretty much the point where you can go and ask to change if you're not happy? You know, we worry a lot about whether it's ok to do these things, but the bottom line is, you need to feel as well as you can. Why don't you give it one more week, as it sounds like it's improving, and then if you're not happy, go back with a plan and see if you can try it.

When I was just starting out on HRT our lovely local pharmacist told me that there are so many different things to try, and that women often give up on it too quickly because they haven't found the combination that suits them. He said to keep going - I hope you feel better very soon x

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 06:46:05 PM »

Hi Goosieloosie

Yes I would give it a little longer. Conti HRT patches especially should stop the bleeding after 6 months. If you have stopped feeling sick and your headaches are so minor that you don't need painkillers then that's great :). However the mood side of things - well, again your body is getting used to a different progestogen so may well settle down.

Hang in there and try to give it another month or so - then you will have been on conti HRT for 4 months - your bleeding may have lessened, and any side effects from the progestogen (irritated mood, headaches) will have settles if they are going to. Good point from Worrywart re her pharmacist and persevering!

Try to concentrate on the things that have improved and keep a diary to see if you notice any changes....

If all else fails - then you can change to the regime we have recommended ie patch or gel with separate utrogestan on a cycle or continuousy depending on your reaction to it, or your preference.

Hurdity x

Goosieloosie

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 07:13:53 PM »

Thank you for all your help and advice.Today I am feeling kind of the same but at least I seem to have definitely stopped feeling sickly and ....I'm still bleeding...making me wonder where it all comes from  :o and if it's ever going to stop, but I will try to give it another month if I possibly can. I so want to get this HRT right as overall I do feel much better than I did without it.

The Utrogestan confuses me a little....can you take it like a conti every day and if so are you still prone to bleeding until it settles? OR do you take it sequentially and have the withdrawal bleed only? I mean if you take it for the 12 days do you have a bleed when you stop? And why do you only take it for 12 days when other progestins are taken for 14 aren't they?? Thankyou

Hurdity

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 04:36:42 PM »

Some of the progestgoens are taken for 12 and some for 14 days if you look at the list here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/perimeno.php It depends partly on the potency of the progestogen ( in thinning the lining) and also with patches it is 14 days for convenience so as to keep the changeover days the same.

Utrogestan is taken for 12 days x 200 mg for perimenopausal women or those who want to remain on a cycle and 100 mg x 25 days (or 28 days) for those who are post-menopausal - and should either give no bleed (on 28 days) or a light bleed on 25 days if the lining is building up. Doctors and women experiment with these doses to some extent depending on bleeding pattern. If you do the 25 days out of 28, or continuous prog when peri-menopausal then this increases the chances of erratic bleeding. So yes if you only take it for 12 days you will get a bleed when you stop.

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2]