Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: What is Perimenopause?  (Read 2724 times)

toffeecushion

Hurdity

Re: What is Perimenopause?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:26:22 PM »

A different menopause matters.....

The article pretty much covers the same ground as on this website - although it refers to that old chestnut "oestrogen dominance". As far as is known, this is only relevant to the womb lining and not symptoms ie if the womb lining continues to build up from oestrogen produced in the ovary, but there is not enough to ripen an egg, then you get anovulatory cycles, you start to skip periods and then you get erratic heavy bleeding either from the womb building up or the next cycle when you do ovulate. The symptoms are due to dramatic fluctuations in both hormones (oestrogen and progesterone), and then as you progess further towards menopause, due to reduction in oestrogen itself.

Hurdity x

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 06:28:21 PM »

I like the 'storm before the calm'!!!

Kathleen

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 06:59:53 PM »

Hello toffeecushion.

Thank you for an interesting post.

If so many problems are caused by oestrogen dominance why don't we just ensure that our progesterone levels stay higher than oestrogen throughout peri and beyond and then slowly reduce progesterone during post meno? I once read  that progesterone was the calming hormone and I'm now wondering if that could be right?

Hopefully someone can educate me on this point and sorry if this is a stupid question!

Take care everyone.

K.